Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everybody, I am not a computer expert by far so please excuse me if my questions are a bit basic, I love gadgets and needed a new phone and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help needed with Midinex

Hello Everybody,
    I am not a computer expert by far so please excuse me if my questions are a bit basic, I love gadgets and needed a new phone and bought a benQ MID s6 4.8 touch tablet pc from Ebay which has yet to be delivered, it looks fantastic and I am looking forward to receiving it but I need help with it.
    Its operating system is Midinex and the gadget takes a sim card for data downloads/connecting to the internet ETC,
    My question is there software you can download to make it more usable as a cellphone maybe with a phone book last number redial ETC. I am going to load Skype on to it but there is a small problem with this and that is I live in Spain and you can not buy a Spanish Skype number so friends and family calling me to my UK Skype number are going to pay international rates.
    Also can somebody advise me on the best pay as you go simcard for data downloads in Spain.
    Help can anyone advise me.
    Simon

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry, but I am not familiar with this device or operating system. What have you found with google searches? If the OS is some version of Linux, then you should be able to install Skype on it and use that for free local and international calls to other skype users. Does the phone have WiFi? Or is it just a GSM device? The SIM card indicates it does have GSM (maybe 3g or 4g capability), but if you have WiFi also, then when you are near a public (or personal) access point that you can connect with, Skype will cost you nothing if you don't call a physical phone, but only to people using Skype on their phones or computers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help, the operating system is Linux based and I am familiar with Skype which I will install, the problem I have is that you can not buy a Skype online number in Spain so friends and family calling me from their cell phones will pay international rates as my Skype number is a UK number this is a problem I have to get around.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If they have a computer w/ microphone and speakers (or headset) and a network connection, then they can skype you, and vice versa, without hitting the phone network and all those nice international charges. I talk with my niece in Mexico from the US all the time that way. Also, since I have Skype on my cell phone, I can call her at her computer. Or, if she had a smart phone with a data plan, then we could skype phone to phone with out the international charges as well. it's workable, depending...

Just Joined!
    I think the solution is to get data capable cell phones and use Skype we already use it on our PC's as both my children are in the UK at University

Well, you might want to do a cost-benefit analysis on that to see if the cost of the phone + increased data plan charges over a 3 year period is less than what you would pay for the international phone tariffs. If not, then you may want to rethink that. As my accountant would say, run the numbers.