Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed open Suse 11.3 on my new Samsung NF210 netbook, due to the fact that it is supposed to support the iphone. Whilst Ive been using various ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Iphone support for Suse 11.3

I have just installed open Suse 11.3 on my new Samsung NF210 netbook, due to the fact that it is supposed to support the iphone. Whilst Ive been using various versions of Suse for many years iI am purely a GUI user with no termial experience, nor do I have any idea how to build packages. I have installed libimobiledevice, via one click install, and package manager shows its there, but I cannot find any trace of it in the launcher. when I plug my iphone into the usb, all I get is an invitation to open Digikam! Amarok doesnt show iphone either.
    Am I missing something here? Please treat me as a newbie!
    Many thanks

From this link
    Meet openSUSE 11.3 | OMG! SUSE!
    Built-in iPhone/iPod Touch Support: With openSUSE 11.3 you can now seamlessly hook up your shiney iPhone or iPod Touch to your shiney openSUSE machine. This means you can access your iPhone/iPod Touch straight from your file manager (aka Nautilus), or play your music directly in Rhythmbox! You can thank the original authors of this support for writing "libimobiledevice" over at libimobiledevice.org.
    So have you tried Nautilus and Rythmbox? I think libmobiledevice is just a library and not an actual program that you run. I see a few links that say all these packages are needed....make sure you have them.
    Code:
    libmobiledevice-tools
    gvfs-backend-afc
    usbmuxd
    banshee-1-dmp-ipod
    ifuse
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for getting back.

I thought that Nautilus and Rythmbox are Gnome packages, I forgot to mention that I am running KDE. The main problem is that I havent a clue about dependencies, how to load them, were to look for them or which ones I ever Need! Unless I can do a "1 Click Install" Im totally lost. Every time Ive tried to do something in a terminal I seem do get errors!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Have now installed Banshee and this now does see my iphone. But when I try to access anything in the file structure it come up with error! Dolphin file manager still does not see the iphone nor does Amarok. Tried to install Rhytmbox but this seems not to work on my KDE desktop.

So tell me, what happens when you plug the phone into the machine? Any pop ups or anything? I have not used an Iphone yet so tell me also, do you need to mount the device first before you can access it? This is how my Android works, I just plug it in and nothing happens. But if you go into the notifications area (on the phone) it will ask you if you want to mount the device. I click that and presto my device pops up and is mounted.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    When I connect my iphone, I get a notification that a usb imaging device connected. I am able to open the photos on my iphone with Digikam. This is nothing new though, I have been able to do this in 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2. I was hoping that 10.3 was as advertised, with "seamless iphone support". Unfortunately the iphone does not give you an option of mounting itself. I have installed ifuse, but havent a clue how to use it, nor where to mount the iphone if I did!

Many thanks again

Try this link, it looks promising.
    iPhone/iPod Touch on Linux | everyday linux how2s

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions and mounted the iphone with ifuse, creating a new directory for it. I also instaled GTKPod. I was able to get Gtkpod and Banshee to see files. Banshee was able to open, play them and it also downloaded artwork from the net. It also copied my music library from the iphone. Thought I had it all sorted out!.
    Next time I booted, opened Banshee, I was unable to access the iphone. Banshee had also place red check (x) marks next to any songs in my new music library, and wouldnt play them! I tried mounting the iphone again, but got an error message saying that the mount point was already occupied. I tried to unmount it but I have no exprience with bash commands!
    I am really getting very stuck now, having spent some 20 hours trying to get something to work that was supposed to work out of the box!
    I have stuck with Suse since 9.2, hopping to have a real alternative to windows or mac, but allways seem to have almighty hurdles to overcome with hardware support.

Can you reccomend a KDE distro with Iphone support as polished as Suse, that will work out of the box?

Many thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by c152flying View Post
    Can you reccomend a KDE distro with Iphone support as polished as Suse, that will work out of the box?

Many thanks again
    I think you would really like Mint Linux. KDE version. It's very polished and I would be willing to bet that it works with Iphone better than Suse did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by c152flying View Post
    Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions and mounted the iphone with ifuse, creating a new directory for it. I also instaled GTKPod. I was able to get Gtkpod and Banshee to see files. Banshee was able to open, play them and it also downloaded artwork from the net. It also copied my music library from the iphone. Thought I had it all sorted out!.
    Next time I booted, opened Banshee, I was unable to access the iphone. Banshee had also place red check (x) marks next to any songs in my new music library, and wouldnt play them! I tried mounting the iphone again, but got an error message saying that the mount point was already occupied. I tried to unmount it but I have no exprience with bash commands!
    I am really getting very stuck now, having spent some 20 hours trying to get something to work that was supposed to work out of the box!
    I have stuck with Suse since 9.2, hopping to have a real alternative to windows or mac, but allways seem to have almighty hurdles to overcome with hardware support.

Many thanks again
    I was hoping that 10.3 was as advertised, with "seamless iphone support". Unfortunately the iphone does not give you an option of mounting itself. I have installed ifuse, but havent a clue how to use it, nor where to mount the iphone if I did!