Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi everyone I have Hp iPAQ rx3115 Hand handheld device am i able to install any Linux? I would like to try and use it in my handheld. Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

iPAQ HP rx3115

Hi everyone
    I have Hp iPAQ rx3115 Hand handheld device am i able to install any Linux?
    I would like to try and use it in my handheld.
    Thanks.

Check this link, it might be useful but I haven't gone in depth with it. Let us know if this helps any.
    AnyTux.org | Hardware | Linux on HP iPAQ rx3100 / rx3115 / rx3700 / rx3715
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Check this link, it might be useful but I haven't gone in depth with it. Let us know if this helps any.
    AnyTux.org | Hardware | Linux on HP iPAQ rx3100 / rx3115 / rx3700 / rx3715
    Thanks i have found this website
    Linux: Ĺngström: Linux em Palmtops, portáteis e embarcados sem mistério [Artigo]
    Is there anyone who can translate into English? With google translate it doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by whynot; 03-01-2011 at 04:14 PM.

oz
    forum.guy
    You might try some of these other online language translators to see if they are of some help to you:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...age+translator
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You might try some of these other online language translators to see if they are of some help to you:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...age+translator
    I think its so complicated for me. I think i have to wait more.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    From the looks of it, you should be able to install Linux on this device. I just wonder if there may be support in Android for it. The processor and other stuff should be compatible.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    From the looks of it, you should be able to install Linux on this device. I just wonder if there may be support in Android for it. The processor and other stuff should be compatible.
    Hi agian
    I have found this files for rx3115 in web
    in Haret tarzip file
    Code:
    haret-pre-0.4.9-20070620_152948.exe
    zImage-hh8
    zImage
    default.txt
    default.txt~

First i have copied all this haret files in to my SD 2gb card.But i didnt do any linux partations and with this fat 16 filesystem and kernel im able to start boot. Before this time something like this wont happened. It crashed everytime.
    But somewhere i become kernel panic.
    Code:
    [     0.835000] asic3_mmc: ASIC3 MMC/SD driver, controller at 0x10000000
    [    1.380000] Waiting 3sec before mounting root device...
    [    1.965000]mmcb1k0:  mmc0:e624  SD02G 1985024KiB
    [    1.970000]  mmcb1k0:  p1 < >
    [     4.390000] VFS: Cannot open root device "mmcb1k0p2" or unknown-block(254,2)
    [     4.395000]Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    ...............Kernel Panic.......
    I think somewhere it needs to load linux root tree with linux kernel.
    So
    I have with SD 2gb (i also tried with SD 1Gb) under linux this steps
    Code:
    # fdisk /dev/mmcblk0p1  (sdb1, sdb2) 
    # mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1
    # mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
    # mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/SD1/
    # mount -t ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/SD2/ 
    # tar xfvj haret.tar.bz2
    # mv ./wince-loader/* /mnt/SD1/
    # tar -xvjpf rootfs.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/SD2/
    # umount /mnt/SD1/
    # umount /mnt/SD2/
    everything works well.

default.txt
    Code:
    set MTYPE 592
    set KERNEL "zImage-2.6.21-hh9-1"
    set RAMADDR 0x30000000
    set CMDLINE "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=3 psplash=false"
    bootlinux
    (/dev/mmcblk0p2) i also tried with (asic3_mmc)

At the end when i tried to start my new SD card in Hp Pocekt Pc 2003 it wont recognize and it recommend me to format this Sd card.
    What should i do now?

Thanks.
    Last edited by whynot; 03-06-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Hello whynot,

I have recently started on the same quest as you... Installing Linux on rx3115. I've seen you asking on many forums for help/support as I Google for information. It is a shame there aren't more answers.

I too have seen the Spanish tutorial for Angstrom install on rx3115, unfortunately I am in no better position to puzzle it out as my Spanish is almost non-existent. And online translators won't do.

Firstly; by inclination, I'm more of a hardware person than a software person. What you describe above is something I can follow - sort of - but is more programming than I've done in some time...

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that HaRet is not the bootloader to use in our case. I don't know if that will help you or not... Recheck the Angstrom wiki for iPAQ's. angstrom-distribution.org/taxonomy/term/6 where they say that LAB (Linux as Bootloader) is needed, at least specifically for the iPAQ h2200.

Another part of the problem - to my way of thinking - is that all supported and testing iPAQ's (h2200, h3900, h4000, h5000 & hx4700) use the Intel XScale CPU and an ARMv5TE instruction set.

But the rx3115 utilizes a Samsung s3c2440 CPU running an ARMv4T instruction set. This might be the crucial difference which keeps other iPAQ versions of Angstrom from working on rx3115.

For example: I tried this (mediafire.com/?i61956852696grp) LiveRAMdisk image for h2200. I chose it because the h2200 most closely matches the hardware of rx3115 - same RAM/ROM and closest CPU clock speed. I installed it on an SD card and executed... Result - A frozen rx3115 with a muti-color pixel "snow storm" for a screen that needed a hard reset to come back from total unresponsiveness. I tried it a few times, making sure I freed up as much RAM/ROM as I could before booting it from WM 2003. It just won't work.

But the Spanish language YouTube video and the linked tutorial, together with a look at s3c2440 development boards clearly show that Angstrom is possible on an rx3115.

I have a question. In the same folder (otti.wirdorange.org/) where you found the rootfs.tar that you've been using there is another image: otti.wirdorange.org/Angstrom-opie-image-glibc-test-20070620-rx3000.rootfs.tar.bz2 that specifically mentions our iPAQ series (rx3000). Have you tried this image??? Was there some document that said the rootfs.tar you chose was a better fit???

I'm wishing you a lot of success and hope you share anything learned with me here.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I am fluent in Spanish. Please post the URL (with additional spaces since you can't post direct URLs on the forum until you have made at least 15 posts) so I can check it out. I'll get back to you after I have had a chance to see the video, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thank you much, Rubberman. It would be a great help to know more details on this install...

Video @ youtube .com/watch?v=KZEY0YkMFco

Tutorial @ vivaolinux .com.br/artigo/Angstrom-Linux-em-Palmtops-portateis-e-embarcados-sem-misterio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast