Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I successfully use USB 3G on my openSuSE since some 2+ years the modem device on my nokia smartphone-connected laptop is /dev/ttyACM0 when using wvdial to connect to mobile broadband ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I successfully use USB 3G on my openSuSE since some 2+ years
    the modem device on my nokia smartphone-connected laptop is
    /dev/ttyACM0
    when using wvdial to connect to mobile broadband

no additional drivers needed - all out of the box with default kernels since years - for connection to 3G Nokia phones since years either bia bluetooth or USB cable (USB cable is faster).

Just Joined!
    Rubberman,

Does it mean without access to linux source kernel one may not be able to perform successful operations with issues like?

1 - USB modem for internet

2 - Other embedded applications development.
    My problem is similar to that. I have Huawei USB modem for mobile broadband ( Three Network mobile operator) and i linux - xubuntu, kernel 2.3.20-15 . I have been wanted to browser thru this but unfortunately i have not been able to install my USB modem. Previously, i was able to login as root with sudo -s command to perform this installation but no joy. Could you please help out?

Thanks,
    George

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbeg2011 View Post
    Rubberman,

Does it mean without access to linux source kernel one may not be able to perform successful operations with issues like?

1 - USB modem for internet

2 - Other embedded applications development.
    My problem is similar to that. I have Huawei USB modem for mobile broadband ( Three Network mobile operator) and i linux - xubuntu, kernel 2.3.20-15 . I have been wanted to browser thru this but unfortunately i have not been able to install my USB modem. Previously, i was able to login as root with sudo -s command to perform this installation but no joy. Could you please help out?

Thanks,
    George
    1. For using USB modem, kernel source should not be needed. The OS should see it as a serial device and then you can use the PPP protocol to access it.

2. For other embedded application development, you may need kernel source if you have to install drivers for non-default (but supported) file systems such as xfs, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks Rubberman,

For using USB modem, kernel source should not be needed. The OS should see it as a serial device and then you can use the PPP protocol to access it.

What command will i invoke to make the PPP protocol to access it?

Cheers,
    George

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbeg2011 View Post
    Thanks Rubberman,

For using USB modem, kernel source should not be needed. The OS should see it as a serial device and then you can use the PPP protocol to access it.

What command will i invoke to make the PPP protocol to access it?

Cheers,
    George
    Assuming you have KDE or Gnome (or other) desktop UI's installed and running, the easiest thing is to right-click on the network icon and select "Edit Connections" or something like that, or you can go to the System->Preferences menu and select "Network Connections" to add the connection information. On my old Ubuntu 9.04 system, it would automatically detect and connect the devices for me - I had to do nothing. On older or other systems (such as Apple PowerPC Macs) I had to do some minor configuring. If you have it installed, you can use the kppp (KDE) configuration tool.

Finally, if you want to do it the hard (manual) way, read the pppd man page: man pppd
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2