Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I work on ARM9 based linux embedded platforms. The linux kernel version I use is 2.6.30. To enable a USB based 3G support on my kernel, do I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB 3G modem on ARM linux

Hi,
    I work on ARM9 based linux embedded platforms. The linux kernel version I use is 2.6.30. To enable a USB based 3G support on my kernel, do I need a driver specifically for the device or will it work on a generic usb serial driver support.

As I understood, the kernel I use supports a Huawei E220 3G modem, but due to its unavailability in the market, I would like to go for a Huawei E173 USB 3G modem.

Inside the file drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h, I saw the product ID and vendor ID of the Huawei E220 device added. If I am able to add the corresponding values for Huawei E173, will I be able to use the E173 device with my kernel. ?

Please help.
    Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good question. Do you have access to the kernel source code? If so, go to the source directory where you find the Makefile and run the command make menuconfig - this will compile some bits and pieces and then give you a curses-based application with all the available settings/drivers that can either be built into the kernel, or built as loadable modules. Either the driver is there, or it is not. The 3G USB spec is quite new, so I am guessing that you won't find it in the 2.6.30 kernel tree. Probably on a newer one.

Here is what I find on my 2.6.32 kernel for RHEL/SL6 for USB 3.0 device support:

Code:
    xHCI HCD (USB 3.0) support (EXPERIMENTAL) (USB_XHCI_HCD)

CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD:

The eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) is standard for USB 3.0
    "SuperSpeed" host controller hardware.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
    module will be called xhci-hcd.

Symbol: USB_XHCI_HCD [=m]
    Prompt: xHCI HCD (USB 3.0) support (EXPERIMENTAL)
    Defined at drivers/usb/host/Kconfig:20
    Depends on: USB_SUPPORT [=y] && USB [=y] && PCI [=y] && EXPERIMENTAL [=y]
    -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y])
    -> Support for Host-side USB (USB [=y])
    So, based upon this, I think you are going to need to find a driver to build...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

BTW, I was just an an embedded ARM conference/seminar today, and at least one board supplier (Freescale I think) has ARM9 boards with USB 3.0 support, running a 2.6.36 or later kernel.

Just Joined!
    Dear Rubberman,

I am trying to interface 3G USB modem(a communication device), which uses USB 2.0 interface.

Is there a generic device driver for the USB modem interface ?

Ah! Sorry, I mistook your mention of USB 3G for USB 3.0 - my bad! Let me check on that. In reality, USB modems are PPP serial devices that support standard modem initiation strings and such, so it will probably work just fine. As for adding the device ID (product+vendor id)information and rebuilding that kernel module, it will likely work. My guess is that all the other communication cruft is the same. The system just needs to know what kernel module is associated with that device ID.

Just Joined!
    Hi gigin,

I am also trying to do the same. Please let me know if you are able to successfully bringing up driver for 3G usb modem(E173)?

I have used 3G myself with Ubuntu since 9.04 without problems. As I said, they are seen by the OS as a mobile device / modem. No specific drivers should be required.

Just Joined!
    thanks for ur reply...

suj
    Just Joined!

3G USB modem

I am trying to use 3G USB modem on montavista 5.0 (kernel version 2.6.1. Do I need to install, any specific drivers ? or Will it work with usb_modeswitch, usbserial & wvdial ?
    My question, once it is up, will it work with all available(different service providers) 3g USB modems ?

Basically, I want use a generic mechanism such that it should work with all 3G USB modems. How do I do this ? Any ideas..???

Quote Originally Posted by suj View Post
    I am trying to use 3G USB modem on montavista 5.0 (kernel version 2.6.18 ). Do I need to install, any specific drivers ? or Will it work with usb_modeswitch, usbserial & wvdial ?
    My question, once it is up, will it work with all available(different service providers) 3g USB modems ?

Basically, I want use a generic mechanism such that it should work with all 3G USB modems. How do I do this ? Any ideas..???
    Kernel 2.6.18 is pretty old at this point, so you may have a problem. I know that I had issues with my old CentOS 5.x system using my Sprint USB modem which also had the 2.6.18 kernel. As for service providers, that is irrelevant, assuming the device has already been activated and connected to the service. I had a Sprint USB modem that worked just fine with Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28 kernel). In fact, on that system, I didn't have to do anything to get it to work, other than plug it in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast