Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not exactly a mobile device but .. Has anyone tried to install linux on on the cheap single/double DIN GPS/DVD devices as sold on eBay? These devices all seem to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hacking a car computer

Not exactly a mobile device but ..

Has anyone tried to install linux on on the cheap single/double DIN GPS/DVD devices as sold on eBay?
    These devices all seem to run Windows CE. Most do not have a hard disk but do support SD cards.
    I'm aware of the Navisurfer devices that are Linux based but they don't have that cool retracting screen.
    If it's not possible to install Linux on one of these devices, I'd be looking at installing a small standalone system in the vehicle (van, lots of room) and just using the cheap GPS/DVD device as a display and input (touch screen)

Regards
    Geoff

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you checked into QNX? It runs a lot of automotive systems these days.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I have used QNX but in this case, I'm more interested in hacking the cheap single DIN hardware to be able to run Linux. If it can run WIndows CE, then Linux should be possible, depending on what information is available about the hardware itself.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Can you hook up the unit outside of a car, such as on a test bench? I think all you need is a 12V power supply. Also, pull the case and see if there is a jtag header for debugging. Finally, with the cover off, can you tell what the CPU is? If you know what the CPU is, and with a JTAG interface, you might be able to reflash the device with a Linux OS. The flash memory is the main issue here. If it is physically write-only, such as a PROM, then you are SOL. If it is a flash memory chip, or an EE-PROM, then you may well be able to re-purpose it to run Linux. Good luck, and let us know how this little project goes.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!