Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought an Arm11 v6 based netbook with Android 2.1, and would like to port Meego (has been ported to the Nokia N900 cell phone with v7 instruction set) to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Porting to mobile netbook with Arm cpu

I bought an Arm11 v6 based netbook with Android 2.1, and would like to port Meego (has been ported to the Nokia N900 cell phone with v7 instruction set) to this device. How would I go about doing this?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Solved

Have since found out that this is not practical. ARM cpu's do not have standard configurations that manufacturers of supporting hardware follow, so the user must custom write drivers and interfaces in assembly language. Not something most folks can do, and a long frustrating task even if you have the knowledge.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You might be able to root the android OS so you have full access to the underlying Linux OS that runs at the heart of it. Then you can install other applications as you wish. This is not uncommon.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I have downloaded Z4root to try and root the device and gain linux access.

The Android SDK has tools that might help. You can compile programs with it if you have the source code. Theoretically you could compile any OS for which you have source code, I guess, but it probably won't be an easy process.

Thanks for all the help. I have everything except wireless and sound working now, and have downloaded some games and E-books. Even if I get the wireless working, I have found that this netbook is more pda than notebook. It plays solitaire and sudoku ok, you can read books on it fine, but e-mail or browsing is limited to some slow and feature limited apps. In the browser pages take a long time to load, and are reduced to plain mobile phone style. For the $85 I paid, it is a useful toy and e-reader, but not to be confused with even a PIII 500 notebook. It is thin and light, and very mobile, but with only about 1 1/2 hours battery life, limited in its usefulness for on the go gaming or reading.

I know it's a day late and a dollar short MASONTX.

I do my research before forking out Dinero on another Netbook. I picked up a M&A Companion Netbook which were used in the Texas Schools in your round about area from a private seller for $112.00

This unit came with a new copy of Windows XP SP3 and 2 gig of ram with a good 4500mah battery and good A/C adapter. I found a 6500mah new battery also at Amazon for $7.00 with $5.00 shipping. I think I got lucky because this netbook is pretty unknown.

These Netbooks were purchased and scattered through out Texas and the rest of the USA in schools, The Keyboard is water proof and the netbook is also Kid proof. Hardrive is ZIF IDE Pata 30gig right now. I can use a ZIF Solid State Drive later when funds allow and prices drop. I'm pretty happy with it running Linux off of external SD Flash so far. The carrying leather case handle is velcro'd to the plastic outer housing and peels off easy to allow access to bay doors for ram and hard drive. I like this unit better than my Asus EEEPCs and Acer Aspire One ZG5 so far.

This post is so in case you run into one of these buggers in Texas. You heard it here first.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thanks Rocky. I hadn't heard of those netbooks before, but I'll keep and eye out. Mines been a challenge, but worth the low price I paid. Now if I find one of those M & A's, it does sound like a lot better deal.