Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all - Well i bought android Samsung Galaxy and am all up for doing some Java on it , but just as i am getting there i get stuck ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question android/eclipse strange behavior

Hi all - Well i bought android Samsung Galaxy and am all up for doing some Java on it , but just as i am getting there i get stuck with:

Code:
    [2011-09-03 20:27:51 - adb]Failed to get the adb version: Cannot run program "/home/tom/android/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools/adb": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
    from eclipse.

At first, i thought the adb files was not being found, but now i think it ts the adb program not able to find a file? But what file?

Being a total newb on both android and eclipse, with many years of Java i can use all the help i can get - Thanks!
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

I believe you have the Tegra II chip, which is an arm processor. You might try the arm developers kit to see what you can do. I have a netbook with an arm chip and android 2.1, and could never get it to act the least bit like linux. Good luck.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Where can i look?

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I believe you have the Tegra II chip, which is an arm processor. You might try the arm developers kit to see what you can do. I have a netbook with an arm chip and android 2.1, and could never get it to act the least bit like linux. Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply.

I realise i am in between topics here. This *is* a Linux forum, and the best one in my opinion.

What i am trying to do is use:

1. Linux Mint 11
    2. eclipse Galileo
    3. Google's emulator

I want to do dev on Linux, using eclipse, and then test on the Galaxy (or whatever) later. Google has an emulator for each version of android (froyo, gingerbread etc).

The problem i am having is with the eclipse plugin for android.

If anyone knows a better place to post this (even a different forum) please let me know. I am totally flexible with my Linuses and or dev tools as i am just starting out with this android project.

Thanks!

PS android seems to love Linux. It's windows users that have to jump through hoops - lol.

circa 2006

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Android has it's own byte-code interpreter for Java applications called Dalvik. You have to recompile your Java applications to run on it. Go to Google.com and subscribe to their developer services and you can get an android simulator (virtual machine) and all the eclipse tools you will need to build/test/deploy android applications.

Further reading of your last post tells me that you are getting close, but still are having problems with the eclipse plug-in. My suggestion would be to go to the android developer's forums at google and post there for more expert help.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks

Thanks Rubberman - you are right, I am sooooo close.

I will give the Google forums a try. I see others having the same problem, so i am sure there is a fix.

circa 2006

Thumbs up Got it!

A very helpful place for this kind of stuff turns out to be Android Forums - within an hour i was up and running with eclipse/android - the right Java - etc. This is now solved, and i recommend that you check adroid forums for this type of problem...

Thanks to those who helped/tried! This forum is always the goto place in general.

circa 2006