Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been looking for days trying to find a solution which would allow pc, cell phone and tablet users (perhaps mostly using android based devices) to vidconf together. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Seek cell/tablet video-conferencing server

I've been looking for days trying to find a solution which would allow pc, cell phone and tablet users (perhaps mostly using android based devices) to vidconf together.

I have tested flash based solutions which don't work because adobe flash cannot access the mic and vid camera on the cell/tablet devices.

I am told that AIR based solutions would work but I have had no luck finding anything either open source or even commercial. There are some very costly solutions but not being an enterprise, I cannot consider them since we have wasted too much money on such solutions in the past.

I am hoping that perhaps someone here might have some leads to pass on which I could look into.

Thank you kindly.

I was not really sure where to ask this so if anyone has suggestions, I welcome them. In the meantime, this might be the place since it is all about programmers working on various projects.

I wish there were a more open solution available , but I think your best option at the moment is Skype.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    I cannot use an existing service, I need our own hosted solution.
    Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

In that case ...

Well, you can try with Jabber.org or Asterisk- The Open Source Telephony Projects | Asterisk.
    Jabber is really an IM server and Asterisk is dedicated to VOIP , and in fact they are very easy to deploy , both support video conferencing. The thing is to find the right clients wich could be compatible with each other in the different plataforms you need. That will be the funny part.

Now , really, Good luck

Just Joined!
    Well, really, thanks for the good luck .

Actually, I use both of the above and others as well. First, isn't jabber now openfire or are they two separate projects?

Second, the problem is that cell/tablets cannot access their A/V devices through flash when using flash based applications.
    I tested yesterday using the newest version of AIR and saw that you can now do this but the app has to be AIR compatible. I don't have any clue when adobe will have that function in the flash player which is why I am looking for alternatives.

If jabber supports A/V chat, from what I have read, there are countless clients out there that work on everything, which I would believe do allow the users to use their mic/camera then?

Openfire is an implementation or "flavorĘ of jabber, kind of like a linux distro.

And yes there are lots of jabber clients but not many wich can use video, and those who do many times are incompatible with each other, the same with asterisk voip softphones. As I previously said: The thing is to find the right clients wich could be compatible with each other in the different plataforms you need.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I understand that the latest version(s) of pidgin can handle A/V.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I suppose we could have a recommended list of clients which we support, something along those lines.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mprog View Post
    I suppose we could have a recommended list of clients which we support, something along those lines.
    I'll take a look, thanks. I am basically looking for an instant messenger solution with A/V.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by mprog View Post
    I'll take a look, thanks. I am basically looking for an instant messenger solution with A/V.
    Well, Pidgin with A/V capabilities would give you that. It handles just about every type of IM protocol that exists. I know that it is supposed to support A/V with Google Talk. Others also, probably but don't know for sure. Here is a link to the web site: Pidgin, the universal chat client
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast