Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I have an Android phone, and can easily get a USB external hard drive to host media files. Is it possible to buy the correct cables to convert the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

possible to connect a USB external hard drive to an Android phone?

Hello, I have an Android phone, and can easily get a USB external hard drive to host media files. Is it possible to buy the correct cables to convert the micro-usb of the phone to the mini-usb of a typical hard drive? And will it work from Android software perspective? Thank you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Hmmm. Interesting idea. Unfortunately I think not. The USB on the phone is configured as a peripheral device, so when you plug it into your computer it looks like a disc drive. I don't think it works the other way around. That said, it may be possible that someone has reconfigured android so it can work the other way. Anyway, you have piqued my curiosity, so I will probably take some time and see what I can find - I have a Nexus One myself. If I find anything, I'll post it here.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    This is actually a very interesting idea though I am not site sure this would be something that would be available on the current implementations we are seeing on phones. It would different to have it function as a USB port as well. As it clearly works the other way around.

But probably through a custom interface, this would more likely be made available.

Just Joined!
    Possibly, sort of. It depends on what type of 'phone you have as to how easy it is. Phones that have the lapdock option automatically get 2 USB ports from the factory when they are plugged into a lapdock. They read SD cards in a USB adpater and USB thumb drives just fine. I've recently installed an full Ubuntu distro on mine. I can still access thumb drives and SD cards just fine, but now they won't unmount correctly. The thing is, now I can see my external drive - I just can't access it yet. Since it's an actual Linux distro, I'm pretty hopeful that I can get the right drivers for it and be good to go.

If you can get a lapdock, a lot of the work is done for you. If not, someone with enough determination might be able to cobble together an adaptor and drivers and a patch to run webtop, etc., etc., etc... But it might take the same amount of determination that it took to get to the moon.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramax55 View Post
    Possibly, sort of. It depends on what type of 'phone you have as to how easy it is. Phones that have the lapdock option automatically get 2 USB ports from the factory when they are plugged into a lapdock. They read SD cards in a USB adpater and USB thumb drives just fine. I've recently installed an full Ubuntu distro on mine. I can still access thumb drives and SD cards just fine, but now they won't unmount correctly. The thing is, now I can see my external drive - I just can't access it yet. Since it's an actual Linux distro, I'm pretty hopeful that I can get the right drivers for it and be good to go.

If you can get a lapdock, a lot of the work is done for you. If not, someone with enough determination might be able to cobble together an adaptor and drivers and a patch to run webtop, etc., etc., etc... But it might take the same amount of determination that it took to get to the moon.
    Good points. In short - possible, doable, maybe not easy. FWIW, do you know about a lapdock (or similar) for a Nexus One?

Just Joined!
    Probably not without a LOT of hacking. The lapdock is a Motorola thing. It uses the HDMI output for the display and USB for the I/O so, in theory, if you had both of those, and you were REALLY knowledgeable, you might be able to hack something together. Or you could spend about $100.00 on a Droid Bionic on eBay.

Right! Well, the N1 has a usb port... I think I'll just let this alone for now! Thanks for the info.

Just Joined!
    I just found out that there is a cable for just what you are talking about. It is called "USB on the go" and you can get them for like $10.00. I believe they are designed for tablets, but they are designed for Android, so you should be able to get it to work.

Kewl! Thanks for the lead. I'll definitely check into it.

Just Joined!
    It is possible on Android Ice Cream Sandwich, and JellyBean 4.0.4 and 4.1 Check out if you got that update, if you don't just root your phone and look around for a Ice Cream Sandwich build for your particular device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast