Find the answer to your Linux question:
Obviously I am a newbie to linux... and I have a question because Linux has pretty good reputation for running like a champ on really old hardware... So, I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

want to ship linux on my old phone... is it possible?

Obviously I am a newbie to linux... and I have a question because Linux has pretty good reputation for running like a champ on really old hardware...

So, I have this old touchphone from Samsung, known as "Samsung Corby S3653", which runs on Java MIDP 2.0 according to the tech specs Samsung gives.

(I haven't yet made 15 posts, so I am not allowed to post urls)...

I got bored using that old thingy... I just want to change to linux or whatever, something other than that propreitary OS. (Actually, I was also amazed when I read the news that Ubuntu is gonna ship for Android).

Okay, the thing is this phone is pretty much very old one, so I need something "light" that could run on this (without having problems with mobile connectivity).

Any pointer on how to make this happen, will be very useful.

Thanks!

EDIT: here's the link where you can find techspecs: www samsung com support model GT-S3653CYAINS-techspecs
    Last edited by bharadwaj; 05-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Linux Engineer
    You will not be able to do this with an out of the box distro; likely you won't be able to do it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You will not be able to do this with an out of the box distro; likely you won't be able to do it at all.
    oh... Why do you think so? Why can't linux run on it?

Judging from a short google search, it seems to run some unknown operating system.
    Porting linux and/or android to this phone may or may not be possible, but it would require a *very* deep knowledge of
    a) android
    b) the hardware of this phone

I dont see a reason why anyone would attempt such an ordeal, as other phones with similar or better specs already have android.
    So mizzle is right: What you want is likely not possible.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Judging from a short google search, it seems to run some unknown operating system.
    Porting linux and/or android to this phone may or may not be possible, but it would require a *very* deep knowledge of
    a) android
    b) the hardware of this phone

I dont see a reason why anyone would attempt such an ordeal, as other phones with similar or better specs already have android.
    So mizzle is right: What you want is likely not possible.
    hmm... Is there no paricular linux that could just go well on all mobiles? I have read that the OS in these mobiles is kinda built into the firmware itself, so is there some embedded linux or something like that which works "out of the box"?

I really don't need some nice GUI or anything like that. Even if I can just call or text a person and use the camera, that's enough for me. So, is there some solution like that?

Nope.
    As explained above.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.