Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking to get out of windows, but since I last checked there was no mobile device that could sync contact/calendar/files/tasks with thunderbird (or similar program,) without putting all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

look to escape windows but need syncability and afraid of the cloud

I am looking to get out of windows, but since I last checked there was no mobile device that could sync contact/calendar/files/tasks with thunderbird (or similar program,) without putting all the info into google's cloud.

Right now I am using Palm Treo Pro with windows and outlook (total drag.) However there are features that I can't do without: qwerty keyboard, 3.5mm jack, spreadsheets/calendar/contacts/tasks/office, and it syncs with outlook.

Is there an option out there in the open source world (without the cloud) with these features? I'm hoping to stay under 200$, but I would look into anything if necessary. Also I need something pretty easy to use because I am not very tech savy.

(also- the phone aspect is a nice bonus, but really I just need a little computer; so whatever carrier doesn't matte because I probably won't hook it up anyways.)

I'm not sure how you could go about syncing without using the cloud at all, unless you are content manually transferring files via bluetooth and/or USB. If you don't trust the major cloud storage providers, you could try a self-hosted solution such as ownCloud. I have used ownCloud on my shared web hosting account ($4/month), but I have had trouble getting syncing to actually work. Maybe you'd have better luck.

Just Joined!
    I just want to be able to do it via USB. Doing it manually would be time consuming and impossible to do without error, so yes I am looking for a program that will sync the contacts and calendar when it is connected to the computer by USB.

this ownCloud solution sounds interesting. It would be nice to have the data stored remotely in a private place. Is there a site that offers support to get it to work? What device/OS are you using?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by thesniffingratty View Post
    I just want to be able to do it via USB. Doing it manually would be time consuming and impossible to do without error, so yes I am looking for a program that will sync the contacts and calendar when it is connected to the computer by USB.

this ownCloud solution sounds interesting. It would be nice to have the data stored remotely in a private place. Is there a site that offers support to get it to work? What device/OS are you using?
    You might be able to use something like rsync to sync your stuff over USB, but I believe that would depend on the directory structure and file formats being the same across your devices.

As for ownCloud, you can get support from the ownCloud site itself and possibly from your web hosting company. Some web hosts have policies against using their servers for backup purposes, so you may need to tread delicately in those waters. My company, Arvixe, provided some support with the initial installation in that they modified my PHP settings and write access appropriately.

The only device I have tried syncing with is a Lenovo Thinkpad T530 running 64-bit Gentoo. The ownCloud installation itself is hosted on a Linux server (CentOS, I THINK).

Just Joined!
    rsync doesn't seem to be appropriate for this application, unless there are two identical programs that run on the desktop and the phone that do contacts/calendar. then i guess it would be as simple as syncing the files that store that data. Do you know of any programs like that that can run on desktop and phone?

the other issue with the ownCloud is that I don't want to hook up the phone or use wireless in my house, so the sync would have to happen via USB or other cable. Is there a way to get ownCloud to work under those conditions?

Thanks for all the help.

Linux Engineer
    You won't be able to find a new phone that doesn't sync your contacts for you, at least in the US.

Consumers have spoken: they don't care about privacy, they just want it to work.

Every single call you make is logged anyway.

Just Joined!
    maybe consumers don't care, but I'm sure business' do, what do security firms and such use?

Quote Originally Posted by thesniffingratty View Post
    rsync doesn't seem to be appropriate for this application, unless there are two identical programs that run on the desktop and the phone that do contacts/calendar. then i guess it would be as simple as syncing the files that store that data. Do you know of any programs like that that can run on desktop and phone?

the other issue with the ownCloud is that I don't want to hook up the phone or use wireless in my house, so the sync would have to happen via USB or other cable. Is there a way to get ownCloud to work under those conditions?

Thanks for all the help.
    There appear to be several rsync ports for Android (I'm not allowed to post URLs yet, but these are easy to find). I'm not sure, however, what type of contacts/calendar applications you would need to run on the phone and desktop to make the files compatible.

As far as I know, ownCloud will only work over a network (doesn't have to be wireless, though). You could set it up on a home server if you have PHP 5.3, but I'm not sure if you can perform syncs over USB.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You won't be able to find a new phone that doesn't sync your contacts for you, at least in the US.

Consumers have spoken: they don't care about privacy, they just want it to work.

Every single call you make is logged anyway.
    I don't believe you HAVE to sync your contacts to the cloud. From what I recall, it was presented as an optional feature when I first set up my Android. Of course, this may have changed for the newest phones.