Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got a 64 GB card for my tablet and was wondering what I should format it as. People in android forums all say fat32. That sounds a little ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Format option for SD card

I just got a 64 GB card for my tablet and was wondering what I should format it as. People in android forums all say fat32. That sounds a little outdated to me I use linux computers so I don't need Windows to be able to read it . What would be the fastest format?

Linux Engineer
    Ultimately it's going to depend on what your tablet's OS supports. If you are using an Android tablet, Will Android read any other non-FAT file-system on SD card? - Android Enthusiasts

If you're going to be using some other software on the tablet, you should check out which file systems are supported.

Just Joined!
    I'd stick with fat32. It's not a Windows format, it's an industry standard.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi, electronman6913,

For all I know, there are four disk type:NTFS,FAT16,FAT32 could be supported in almost all of electronic devices. First you'd better review the specification of your device carefully and then make the right choice.

If you need to write files larger than 4GB you should format it as NTFS.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You could try and create an ext3 partition on your SD card for a Linux/Android tablet. They should be able to handle that. It will support VERY large files, and much more efficiently than fat32 or ntfs. Just remember that it will not be very accessible to Windows systems ( not a bad thing, IMO ).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!