Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello linux fourms! I'm going on a longdistance longboard ride and the amount of devices out is daunting! I'm looking for an internet connected, lowpower, linux device that can still ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

doing longdistance trip, need ultralight computing advice.

hello linux fourms!

I'm going on a longdistance longboard ride and the amount of devices out is daunting! I'm looking for an internet connected, lowpower, linux device that can still work as a phone but its primary job is surfing the internet, maps, photo editing, video storage and playback, if it has GPS software im SOLD. I want a lightweight device that can last a long time on battery. The more free and open the better. and lastly i'm looking to spend no more than 250 no matter what (i'm trying to budget). real linux i prefer to android.

thanks for your help! If i get a recommendation that i really like i'll post a review/feed back when i order it next Wednesday.

Thanks from maryland
    ~chris

edit: if its more than 250 i might still get it

Just Joined!
    63 views and no reply? should i get a kindle?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by pushthis View Post
    63 views and no reply? should i get a kindle?
    I don't know about using the Kindle as a phone. Some of the Linux tablets should let you do that if they come with 3g/umts capability. Even with WiFi you can at least Skype. There are some nice 7 inch models out there that will serve your purpose. Just doing some online searching on sites like buy.com (now rakuten.com) I find a bunch of 7 inchers in the $100-$200 range with 3g capability, but non mention phone capabilities. IE, you can use cell data services to make Skype or other VOIP/SIP calls.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!