Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am sick of the iOS on my ipod touch and would prefer to just wipe it and install a form of linux (Or android if I could) on it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux On Apple Devices?

I am sick of the iOS on my ipod touch and would prefer to just wipe it and install a form of linux (Or android if I could) on it and run that.

I can never get Rhythmbox (or any number of linux media players) to work with my ipod without crashing and I just want to be able to have music on the go.

I would just junk it and use my phone, but I'm currently between phones and this is the only mp3 player I have.

It's an 8GB ipod touch: Version 4.2.1 / Model MB528LL and I run Xubuntu on a Dell Latitude 620.

What can I do from here? Is it hopeless? I hate Apple.

Just Joined!
    Personally I would take ios over any form of android any day of the week. However I also do realize that ios is a very boring os. I do know there's several alternate operating systems that can be put on ipods, however you must realize that Apple does everything possible to keep you from doing such mods. You risk "bricking" the device which now leaves you in an even worse state then before. So that's my words of warning.

If you still wish to try getting a different os, I would recommend looking into "jailbreaking" the device. There are loads of tutorials out there, including easy to follow videos on youtube. Jailbreaking is very common and popular and has much more support and development than the handful of hacks for putting android or some other "linux" form on the device.

Lastly, ipod touches have high resale value. You may wish to consider looking into selling it on ebay. Then you can put the money towards getting a device that you actually like.

The Ubuntu Edge sounds awesome... Ubuntu Edge Archives | OMG! Ubuntu!
    It would be great if you could get the software to work on theApple hardware, but knowing Apple....
    Nevertheless, the Ubuntu Touch looks good as software.

Just Joined!
    Well, it's fairly old with a cracked screen so it's of hardly worth selling, so bricking it isn't too scary a proposition. Jailbreaking could work, if that'll help connectivity at all, but I'd prefer installing something else on there that works well with linux. I simply need a music player from this and nothing more and unfortunately unless I update it from someone else's computer I cannot yet enjoy it.

My iPod Classic and iPhone 4 work just fine on Linux.

What problems are you having?

See if this helpful iPod Linux Installer

I have an iPhone 4s and it always caused a kernel opps when I plugged it into the Linux box. I was a real problem as I could not get the wifi to operate and the iPhone was my only Internet connection, so no USB and no wifi meant it was difficult to deal with Linux.

I think you will find that some of the hardware will be missing important software, so it will fail that way. Seems like that's the way Apple does it. I have an iPod that when I plug it in, it just gives me a directory of folders that have strange names and only a few songs each with cryptic names also, so to me it's useless, but I haven't pursued it as I have other problems to deal with. If my phone dies, I don't even have it backed up as the Linux doesn't seem to allow that either.

Lots of little details to get that to operated, best of luck and if you have any success, please let the rest of us know.

Jack

What OS are you running?

I'm on a Debian OS, with an i5-3450 CPU, '3.2.0-4-amd64'. I recently went to 64 bit because I have 32 G of memory and would like to use some of it! Anyway, I've had so much trouble with the Apple products on Linux that I just quit trying to chase it down. Every 6 months or so I back up my iPhone to my wifes Vista machine.

Now I have this problem with the browser (Iceweasel) that when I'm typing into something like this, it switches to a bolder character and puts a space after each character. Looks strange and the only way Ive found out of it is to close the browser. I don't even know to whom or really the best way to put in a bug report.

So I just live with it, it's still better then Windows 8!

Jack

Just Joined!
    Well, I just picked up an S4, so I feel like I can play with the ipod recklessly now. Suggestions?

Are you using it as a hot spot? I was and that was a problem, when I plugged it in I got a kernel opps. That was on the i386 code, I'm now using AMD-64, and I haven't tried it. I no longer use it as a hot spot, but trying to use it to manipulate my iPhone 4s didn't work out so well, like I can't back it up, to my knowledge.

I'll keep my ear on the e-mail. Let me know how you make out...

Jack