Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, everyone. I am newcommer with embedded applications using open source Operating System. Now I still don't know which OS should I chose. pls recommend me OS with the following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question choose Open Source OS for embedded application

hello, everyone.
    I am newcommer with embedded applications using open source Operating System.
    Now I still don't know which OS should I chose.
    pls recommend me OS with the following criteria:
    - open source and documented very good
    - support many architectures such as ARM, PowerPC, MIPS,...
    - easy to custom
    - toolchain is avaiable
    - many used people
    thank you very much

Trusted Penguin
    hi.

is this a joke? c'mon, srsly.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Linux does well for embedded applications, but it is NOT suitable for hard real-time applications. Even the "real time" extensions are not RMA-capable (Rate Monotonic Analysis - a technique to determine if hard deadlines are always achievable). IE, use it for many industrial applications, but NOT for controlling safety-critical systems! I have 30+ years in working with and doing R&D in hard real-time systems so it is a subject I am somewhat familiar with.

My signature says it all... FWIW, I have used Linux with embedded ARM controllers to manage near-real-time conveyor systems for warehousing applications. For hard real-time applications, I tend to go with QNX. WindRiver (now owned by Intel) has a Linux-compatible RTOS as well that is hard real-time, but the kernel is a far cry from the standard Linux one. The QNX micro-kernel, message-passing architecture is simple, elegant, and incredibly efficient. No priority inversions, which can be a major problem with Linux schedulers and interrupt handlers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Linux does well for embedded applications, but it is NOT suitable for hard real-time applications. Even the "real time" extensions are not RMA-capable (Rate Monotonic Analysis - a technique to determine if hard deadlines are always achievable). IE, use it for many industrial applications, but NOT for controlling safety-critical systems! I have 30+ years in working with and doing R&D in hard real-time systems so it is a subject I am somewhat familiar with.

My signature says it all... FWIW, I have used Linux with embedded ARM controllers to manage near-real-time conveyor systems for warehousing applications. For hard real-time applications, I tend to go with QNX. WindRiver (now owned by Intel) has a Linux-compatible RTOS as well that is hard real-time, but the kernel is a far cry from the standard Linux one. The QNX micro-kernel, message-passing architecture is simple, elegant, and incredibly efficient. No priority inversions, which can be a major problem with Linux schedulers and interrupt handlers.
    thank you very much!