Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i hate to say this but apple got me a bit uneasy the last week, friend of mine told me that he had to replace his old iphone becuase ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sync android/desktop with open source?

hi,

i hate to say this but apple got me a bit uneasy the last week, friend of mine told me that he had to replace his old iphone becuase of some defect...all he did on the new phone was to enter his "cloud" information and all his data (calender, contacts, data) was synchronized.

this probably works with a google account the same, but is this also possible with linux and your own servers?

my older android phone only supports syncml (according to wikipedia it doesnt even have conflict resolution) besides google, is it possible to get a "full backup" with only open source software without sending your data to google?

i dont want a step by step instruction, just a generel yes and what software/protocols you use - protocols that are current with android (maybe activesync?)

greetings

Just Joined!
    if you only want to backup contacts/sms use super backup pro, free on playstore, upload it to dropbox or whatever and use it on another phone whenever you want

Titanium Backup will back up your entire phone to an SD card. It's not open source, of course, and not free, but it does work very well.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Perhaps your situation is similar to mine.

As for Apple:

First, local usb sync was broken from iOS6 to 7,
    Then wireless sync was broken.
    Same happened in iTunes. Apple support forums attracted 245 pages of rants from irate users.
    On iPhone 5, wifi was broken after update
    We were forced into iCloud. Given that only 2/7 of global population have internet, much less with broadband, cloud is a stupid impractical idea now, will be more useful by 2025.
    iCloud corrupted notes, contacts and calendars.
    Sensitive iMessages were relayed to a third party, not by user, but software bug! So much for security.

Solution? Use Google! Why did we have Apple? To avoid using Google!

I have posted this on BitTorrent Forums but were told that BTSync cannot do any of the essential functions as below:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    I am new to this and need to find the correct way of synchronising data. What I want to achieve is the following:

Have a server in a SOHO setup
    Linux Mint to run on server
    Linux Mint on deskrops and laptops, but will consider Windows 8.1 or OS X. Currently have Mint 17 Qiana Xfce on my own laptop and my son has his MacbookPro with the latest Mavericks updates.
    Mobile devices presently iPhone 5S and Android 4.2.1 on Huawei.
    Future mobile devices could also include WP8.1 or even Blackberry

This is still far from happening but we could, when we open new offices, host user data on a central server at HQ and use VPN for remote access. This is just an idea.

The minimum we need is a direct sync via USB or local WLAN, not Internet, to sync between user phone and user laptop the following:

Contacts - essential
    Calendar - essential
    Tasks/Reminders - essential
    Notes - essential
    Media files - optional
    Documents, spreadsheets, etc. - optional

Each user may also end up with large laptop that mostly stays in the office, then a large screen tablet together with a smartphone.

Sentiments:

I trust neither Android nor Apple with my data and would prefer Blackberry for security.
    Apple had let us down badly with both OS X and iOS earlier this year. Updates crippled functionality and then did not rush to fix.
    Windows Phone 8.1 is second to BBOS as far as security goes and I like the high-end Lumia phones, so WP8.1 could be an option
    Blackberry?

Direct sync is needed as GSM coverage in my country is much less than reflected on coverage maps and fixed lines don't exist in rural areas where we are operational. Bandwidth also is expensive and a local sync solution would be ideal.

What would the best setup be? I was advised to use ownCloud and caldav/cardav/webdav for local sync but then someone mentioned BT Sync. Comments welcome!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    Last edited by MacLindroid; 09-05-2014 at 06:00 AM.