Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using my same old Samsung flip phone for about 5+ years and I think it might be time to move into a Smart Phone. If for no other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smart Phones, Ubuntu Touch, Verzion, ect?

I've been using my same old Samsung flip phone for about 5+ years and I think it might be time to move into a Smart Phone. If for no other reason wifi interweb capability. I really don't want to use the "normal" crap that comes on the phone(i.e. Android) even though I know it's popular and stuff, I'd much rather use a different form of Linux like Ubuntu Touch OR???? to run on the phone.
    So, which "Free" phones that are available through Verzion(I know they suck but hey, we're stuck with em' for a while) would work with Ubuntu Touch or other Linux Touch OS?
    What do I need to look for in getting a Smart Phone since I'm not an early adopter I don't really need or want the "latest, greatest", something older that'll work will do just fine.
    Will the phone need to be unlocked in order to put Ubuntu Touch on it or can I unlock it myself and get a different OS on it to run?
    Anything that I've missed please feel free to give me more info and stuff. Thanks.

My adventures documented for your pleasure, I am not recommending anything. Just showing what was done on the cheap.

BlackBerry 9530 - Mobile Devices - Smartest Computing

Because you are not a member of that forum. Uploaded images by me are probably blocked. I still have less than $60.00 bucks thrown into that
    touch phone. Took me some hacking though. It hooks up to Linux just fine though. Hacking had to be done in Windows though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Still not sure weather I should update my phone or not or which one I should get if I do update. I've passed up upgrades a couple times and Verzion wants to charge me a $30 activation fee which I think they should wave since I have passed on upgrades in the past and I'll be locked into a 2 year contract if I do upgrade. Either way I'd want to run "real" Linux on my phone, not Android and as far as I know Ubuntu Touch is the only game in town unless someone knows some other Op Sys to run on a phone that's Linux.

Android is a real Linux. It uses a standard Linux kernel, with UI tweaks. I wouldn't touch Ubuntu with a 10-foot pole. I don't think you're going to be happy with any phone you get, trying to run "real" Linux on it. Good luck in your quest, though.

I've read that there's a lot of viruses and stuff for Android, just want to avoid all that crap if I can, that's why I run Linux on my laptop and not Windows OS. Yes, like I said, I know Android IS Linux but not the same as say Mint or Ubuntu IMHO.
    I just wonder if A) I really need a Smart Phone and B) if I'd really use the features offered since all I do on my phone is talk and sometimes text. I have my laptop for "computer" stuff.

I just wonder if A) I really need a Smart Phone and B) if I'd really use the features offered since all I do on my phone is talk and sometimes text. I have my laptop for "computer" stuff
    I hate phones but my wife wanted a umbilical cord attached to me. So the blackberry was 29 bucks. My sim card is 10 bucks a month running off of AT&T towers. Mine came with a 8gig micro sd card already in it for music and videos. Surf the web on Opera Mini. But guess what.

I hardly ever turn that pup on because I hate phones. But. Since I was made to. I figured I'd at least get out of it as cheap as I can
    and that BlackBerry does what high end android phones do anyways that cost hundreds more. Try finding a unlocked touch phone tablet for
    under 30 bucks with no contracts with 8 gig internal memory. Funny thing is. That phone syncs with Linux better than Android 4.x does.

Android 4.x took out enabling phone to be seen as a mass storage device in linux. So much for Android and open source operating system
    compatibility. Linux Mint Forums ? View topic - Samsung Galaxy Devices and Linux Mint

Me, I can just drag and drop on the BlackBerry.

The other problem is since Android 4.0 google shifted away from mass storage to MTP
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home