Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just wonder if any Android tablet can be switched over to Ubuntu Touch or other "normal" Linux touch based Distro or will it only work on certain tablets? I'd like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Which tablets can run something like Ubuntu Touch?

Just wonder if any Android tablet can be switched over to Ubuntu Touch or other "normal" Linux touch based Distro or will it only work on certain tablets?
    I'd like to try and find an inexpensive tablet to use to surf the web, check e-mail, use my OBD II program(so it'll need Bluetooth) and do other little computer jobs without having to pull out the ol' laptop all the time.
    So would some of these cheap tablets be able to run a real Linux Distro(Yes, I know Android IS Linux but it's just not what I want in my tablet) or do I need certain specs for it to work properly. I wanted to research this out a bit before I buy something that won't work or make a wrong choice. Thanks.

P.S.
    Would something like this run Ubuntu Touch:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-Blue-...item43c64f335d
    Or even something like the Q8:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Q8-7-Inch-Go...item51ba9a9467
    Last edited by TNFrank; 03-20-2014 at 02:50 PM.

I guess this isn't a very popular area in the forums. LOL. Still wanting to know which tablet would be decent and in the $50 range. Not looking for anything fancy long as it has enough room for a good Linux Distro and has wifi and bluetooth or I can add bluetooth to it at least. Anyone??

Linux Guru
    I don't think popularity has anything to do with why no one is saying anything.

Ubunut Touch OS runs on Tablet hard ware that is light years ahead of what you are expecting from a different hardware cheapo tablet.
    Arm is touchy on what kernel will boot on it. No i386 kernel will suffice. Plus. Someone with the same idea may be rare indeed.

You are now in proprietary land and need to investigate processors and what linux version will run on what arm processor.

Ubuntu Touch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I know slackware is being built for certain old arm tablets like what you are looking to buy.

I am not interested in tablets though I own a 4 inch android 4 that I can use to watch movies, surf the net, and listen to online radio or mp3.
    It was a $39,00 impulse buy of mine from walmart that sits in the bag mostly. I use it in the truck stereo from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGqgXt6JgI

Also. I guess you are on your own on this because no one else is interested yet in doing the same thing as you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I just didn't want to run Android because just like Windows it's popular to the point of being a Hacker Magnet. I've read though this article:
    Install Linux on your x86 tablet: five distros to choose from | News | TechRadar and didn't see anything about Ubuntu Touch not working with the x86 processors, guess I need to read up on it some more though.
    I'd just like one mostly for the OBD II stuff and to use for general surfing on the web, nothing real heavy. Oh well, maybe someone will chime in with some info.

Ok, starting to rethink this a bit. Maybe I can find a decent 10" Netbook in my price range. That way I can put SolydX on it or even Kali if I wanted to and have a small computer to use for my OBD II stuff and surfing the web. This will especially be good if it already has Bluetooth so I won't have to add it after I get it.

Linux Guru
    I paid 40 bucks for this on ebay without6 the power brick and a wiped hard drive.

Code:
    harry@biker:~$ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.11-2-486 i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
               Desktop: Xfce 4.10.2 (Gtk 2.24.18) Distro: SolydXK 1 testing
    Machine:   System: manda product: Intel powered classmate PC version: Gen 1.5L
               Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: CM94515A.86A.0024.2008.0715.1716 date: 07/15/2008
    CPU:       Single core Intel Core CPU N270 (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3192.25 clocked at 1600.00 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
               X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@53.3hz 
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11-2-486
    Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller 
               driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ec00 bus-ID: 01:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 30.0GB (45.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HS030GB size: 30.0GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 6.7G used: 4.1G (65%) fs: ext3 ID: /home size: 20G used: 8.7G (48%) fs: ext3 
               ID: swap-1 size: 1.58GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 36 min Memory: 350.5/2015.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
               Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45) inxi: 1.9.17
    The sale of my eeepc 900 ($125.00) paid for 3 of these. AntiX on one. SlolydX on this one. Slack0 5.6 on the third.
    I can sell the 3rd for $100.00 and use the funds for a SSD I guess but I am no hurry yet.
    All work just fine.

Can't tell from the info you posted what "IT" is but I do know that prices on laptops have gone sky high over the last few months on EvilBay. Even something like my NC6400 with no hard drive, 1GB of RAM, no A/C Adapter and in rough condition is going for $70+. By the time you add in a hard drive and an A/C adapter you'd be at the $120 mark.
    I picked up 3 of the NC6400's a few months ago that were complete with hard drives and A/C adapters for $50-$60 each or about half of what they're going for now. I have no Earthly explanation as to why prices have jumped like they have.

Linux Guru

Ahh, ok. Like all the other laptops and Netbooks on EvilBay the prices have gone sky high. That top one you posted is starting at $80 bucks, a bit out of my price range. I'm looking at spending $50-$60 max and I mainly just want something to run that OBD II program on with the Bluetooth ELM 327 OBD II adapter that I picked up. Sure, all of my laptops can work with it now that I've installed Bluetooth boards on the #1 and #2(Jr. already had one) but I'd like something smaller to use.

You are not alone, I too hate Android on a tablet. Unfortunately, as one of the posters noted, Arm chips are touchy to work with. Like rocky suggested, stick with Atom or better processors that work with the x86 processor instruction set. If you go to distrowatch.com and do a search on arm architecture, it brings up 23 distro's that have been ported to use the arm chip. You would have to try several of them to see if they work with your hardware, or do a lot of research.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast