Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best Linux Distro for Android Tablet & how to install with a Mac

What is the best Linux distribution for a tablet? I would prefer one with a mobile-friendly User Interface.

Also, how would I install it on an Android tablet? If a computer is needed, how would I install it with a Mac?

By the way, my tablet is a Nextbook Next10P12. It has 1 gigabyte of RAM and a 500 megahertz processor.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
    Last edited by JMan07; 07-30-2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Technically Android itself is a Linux distribution As Linux is formally an OS kernel project, which Android uses as its OS kernel. I guess your question is, how to install a GNU/Linux distribution (note Android does not include GNU software).

There is an easy solution to install Debian on your device without touching the Android system -- Lil' Debi. The installed system is not mobile friendly but the installation process is basically painless.

I know some models can install Ubuntu phone. Unfortunately, I cannot even find information about how to flash a custom Android ROM isn't possible for your model, which means that your model may not be customizable (e.g. locked bootloader). I don't really expect to be able to replace Android on your tablet, but Lil' Debi is definitely worth trying to have a better experience on such an old model.

Quote Originally Posted by xuhdev View Post
    Technically Android itself is a Linux distribution As Linux is formally an OS kernel project, which Android uses as its OS kernel. I guess your question is, how to install a GNU/Linux distribution (note Android does not include GNU software).

There is an easy solution to install Debian on your device without touching the Android system. The installed system is not mobile friendly but the installation process is basically painless.

I know some models can install Ubuntu phone. Unfortunately, I cannot even find information about how to flash a custom Android ROM isn't possible for your model, which means that your model may not be customizable (e.g. locked bootloader). I don't really expect to be able to replace Android on your tablet, but Lil' Debi is definitely worth trying to have a better experience on such an old model.
    I managed to root it with a program called KingRoot.

Now I just need to find a Linux distribution which is suitable for a tablet. Also, I'd prefer to remove Android an install Linux in place of it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yes, android is a form of linux, but imho it's not truly linux, in a Richard-Stallman-sort-of-way. (you know, gnu, free software...).

in any case, with Lil Debi you install debian on top of the android system.
    a similar approach is available for ubuntu, iirc.

so the problem is, what real linux distros are there for android devices?
    last time i looked (about a year ago) the answer was: practically none.
    now it seems that ubuntu phone is getting there, slowly. you have to check it out.

i would say your best bet is to install a nicely modified android version.
    please go to Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Watches & Android App Development - XDA Forums and check out their pages, they have a shitload of stuff there.

Unfortunately, everything I tried failed. It seems like Efun gave my tablet a locked bootloader. I have officially given up on this project.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    yes, android is a form of linux, but imho it's not truly linux,
    You do realise Linux isn't an operating system, its a kernel?

The OS is by the distributor, eg, Ubuntu is the OS from Canonical, Fedora from Red Hat, Android from Google... and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeopia View Post
    You do realise Linux isn't an operating system, its a kernel?

The OS is by the distributor, eg, Ubuntu is the OS from Canonical, Fedora from Red Hat, Android from Google... and so on.
    Oh, Thank You for Enlightening Us, Jadeopia!
    I have truly Waited two Years for You to Come and Clarify!
    Thank You!
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.