Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How does one install software on Android...?

I'm new to it, if I see a button on a website that says "Click to install app", should i click it? What exactly will that do? (like, there isn't any "Save file to disk" option.....?). Can I get viruses.....? How do I uninstall the app later if I want to....?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    I'm new to it, if I see a button on a website that says "Click to install app", should i click it?
    No.

What exactly will that do? (like, there isn't any "Save file to disk" option.....?).
    Install only God knows what software to your system with only God knows what kind of crap in it.

Can I get viruses.....?
    Yes, see above. Plus the stuff below about the updates.

How do I uninstall the app later if I want to....?
    A lot of times you can't without doing a factory reset either b/c the app is poorly written or malicious. Everything changes from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most phones have an app "control panel" where you can remove software if you're lucky.

Android in particular, and smart phones in general, is one of the biggest tech jokes to ever be perpetrated on the human race. And people just keep coming back for more. I honestly don't get it.

They make big gov tracking 1,000,000x easier and every developed nation on the planet tracks you through your smart phone if you have one. They can hear every word you say, even when the phone is off. They know exactly where you are at all times and have 100% easy, peasy access to *any* data on the phone.

And the security sux bollocks. Most manufacturers are a year behind in pushing out top level patches. A monkey clunking on a keyboard could crack the stupid things. It's so easy to steal banking info from the wallet apps that I'm tempted to wonder if there is some kind of collusion between the phone manufacturers and organized crime.

My wife had to get one of the retarded things for work. But there are strict rules for it's use. No real info ever goes in it. She is not allowed to access things like our banking page from it. If she has to make a purchase through it then she uses a reloadable, disposable cash card. It is attached to a disposable e mail account, etc.

None of that will stop the NSA, GCHQ, etc from listening to you, tracking you, sucking up your pics,turning on your camera to watch you, etc. But it will stop some 12 year old in the Urals from emptying out your bank account.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Thanks.
    Your welcome.

OK, I read all that, but - don't apps which connect to a server on the back end, keep a lot of Linux administrators employed?? It has nothing to do with the issue of course, but.... just wondering.....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Install software from the Google Play Store. That has been vetted, more or less, and should be safe, as long as the software has been in the store for awhile. Malware gets removed pretty quickly if it does slip in. Be careful about installing software from outside sources. You should be able to click on the link and get the choice to install or not. Many sites have these links go to the Play Store. If it doesn't, be careful.

How does Google play check whether something is malware or not?

Is it automated, like something on the server scans the file when something new is uploaded by its creator, or do they have humans with antivirus software go at it or something....? The former would be amazing, but since Google wrote the blooody OS, they can probably make specialized software to detect whether any program for it is trying to do something naughty....?

How does Google play check whether something is malware or not?
    Is it automated, like something on the server scans the file when something new is uploaded by its creator, or do they have humans with antivirus software go at it or something....?
    do you really think any of us would be able to even attempt to answer these (and most of your other's) questions without searching the web first?
    no? so, why don't you do it yourself?
    this is kindergarten behavior.
    grow up.

@ resetreset, AFAIK it's just an automated check. Nothing to get giddy over. It's just a virus scan; which means it works on known sigs, which means it will miss new stuff and variants. As sgosnell said a lot of malware is "pulled out quickly". That means it makes it in to the repo, is DL'ed by a bunch of people, some people figure out it's infected, complain and it's pulled. Gee, what a loverly way to control malware! Hey, wadda ya want anee waz? Only 750K people caught it before we figured out what was goins on.

And a bunch of junk calling home will not keep a bunch of *nix engineers employed. Maybe a handful of Gubuntu engineers, but that's about it.

@ sgosnell, as you stated yourself: Getting software directly from google's authorized outlet is no guarantee against malware. But, it gets worse. A lot of manufacturers jack the OS around so hard that you can't even access google play w/o rooting the device. Some of them use amazon's store or the manufacturers store; neither better, and often worse, than google's store.

But that's not your only source of infection or cracks. Most manufacturers are a year behind in pushing out security patches from google. Which is more than enough time for the vulnerability to be compiled in to malware and automated attack tools, leaving you wide open until they decide to push out a YEAR OLD PATCH!

Also, Android is the retarded bastard child of the linux kernel and java. The kernel only runs the hardware. Java does nearly everything else (with a little C++, some GO and some runtimes). Java is one of the worst pieces of junk ever created by man. It has so many holes in it that it's a miracle that it doesn't just fly apart at the seams. B/c java is so full of holes it is very easy to pick up coodies just by web surfing on an android device.

As much as we scream about doze when it comes to DRM lock down crap, tracking and spying and ease to crack and infect android is every bit as bad; if not worse. And it is definitely worse in one manner: MS pushes patches in a somewhat timely manner (if you consider leaving a hole open for years or decades timely). But at least once they push the patch everyone has access to it and no one has to wait a year before they can even get it.

Said it before and say it again: One of the biggest jokes ever perpetrated on the human race.

Maybe y'all can tell me why we keep sucking it? I just don't get it.

Steven, you need a bigger tin-foil hat.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Steven, you need a bigger tin-foil hat.
    Do your research brother/sister(?), google (oddly enough in this case) is your friend. Everything I said is 100% true, accurate and verifiable. Don't believe me? Got the day off? Run down the rabbit hole and see how deep it goes. I dare ya.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 11-01-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    google (oddly enough in this case) is your friend.
    [ cough ]
    DuckDuckGo
    https://ixquick.com/