Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Android on a laptop

Android on a laptop... Well I'm thinking about installing an Android OS to a CF-19 laptop which has 4GB ram duo core processor. My main reason for wanting to do this is because I want to be able to use mobile apps for kik and whatsapp and facebook messenger. Maybe there is a better alternative such as a linux OS of some kind that can do these things rather than running a Android OS?

Would Android support PC generic hardware? or is there a better option for this other than using a smart phone?

Cheers

You can run whatsapp in Linux. A quick Google search will give you many how-to links. I don't have a clue about anything that has to do with Facebook, because I refuse to go near it. I don't know about kik, either, but a quick search shows it to be yet another messenger app. For Linux, Pidgin does most messenger protocols, but I don't know about this one. There is an Android-x86 .iso available, and any search engine should find it for you. I've never tried it, so I can't tell you if it will run on your device, but if the CPU is Intel, it should. Lack of a touchscreen might be an issue, but you can certainly try it out.

Another option is to connect your phone to a monitor. Many have an HDMI out capability if you have the proper cables/adapters. You can certainly connect a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

If Ubuntu can do it, I imagine other distros can.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CF-19
    If you want to learn more about linux take a linux journey
    https://linuxjourney.com/
    Use CODE tags when posting output of commands. Thank you.
    https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/608410.png

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The Laptop has touch screen its one of those where the screen turns and folds over the keyboard so that it can be used as a tablet as well as a laptop. I did a google search I noticed that theres a firefox add on for whatsapp I'm still figuring out how it all works. I don't blame ya for not using facebook I only use it when I really have too. Everything seems to be moving towards smart phones and tablets now days. I'm old school so prefer to type on a keyboard and monitor I don't like using a phone as a computer. The laptop is currently running Windows 7 but will be upgrading it to either Backtrack 5 or Ubuntu soon once Windows starts crapping out

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    You can run whatsapp in Linux. A quick Google search will give you many how-to links. I don't have a clue about anything that has to do with Facebook, because I refuse to go near it. I don't know about kik, either, but a quick search shows it to be yet another messenger app. For Linux, Pidgin does most messenger protocols, but I don't know about this one. There is an Android-x86 .iso available, and any search engine should find it for you. I've never tried it, so I can't tell you if it will run on your device, but if the CPU is Intel, it should. Lack of a touchscreen might be an issue, but you can certainly try it out.

Another option is to connect your phone to a monitor. Many have an HDMI out capability if you have the proper cables/adapters. You can certainly connect a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Would Android support PC generic hardware?
    yes(-ish).