Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best Android phone to mess around with? (Modding etc.)

I'm trying to find a good android to tweak around with in order to learn more about Linux based smartphones. Or any other Linux based smartphones if there even are any good ones...

-Should be an older model (Not ancient, but enough for it to have a good amount of roms and rooting software available) and should propably be upgradeable if the android version is older too.
    -At least mid powerful specs, RAM, Harddrive, CPU etc...
    -Good wifi card with packet injection and/or monitor mode
    -Propably a popular phone (back then), that's widely used for ease of access to good software (windows and/or linux wise)
    -Not too pricy, if even possible...
    -Does NOT need good audio quality, video quality, big screen, good camera, or anything else normal phone related. I'm looking mostly for the computer part of the smartphone.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've been pretty happy with my CyanogenMod 1+1. No longer manufactured, and uses a customized version of Android. Source code is available for it. I have been using it extensively during my holiday trip to Mexico because it is totally unlocked and supports all GSM frequencies in the world, AFAIK. IE, you can purchase a SIM in Timbuktu and expect it to work.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    there's usually one google nexus model which is currently google's "developer phone".
    that's what you want; not the newest, but one or two versions back.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I've been pretty happy with my CyanogenMod 1+1. No longer manufactured, and uses a customized version of Android. Source code is available for it. I have been using it extensively during my holiday trip to Mexico because it is totally unlocked and supports all GSM frequencies in the world, AFAIK. IE, you can purchase a SIM in Timbuktu and expect it to work.
    CM makes actual phones? Where do you even buy one and how easy is it to get other ROMs if necessary?

Google is out of the question, as getting rid of Google (Play, Gmail, Maps etc) on the phone is going to be one of my first main objectives.

But i was thinking something more generally used by many people, yet not everyone. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    CM makes actual phones? Where do you even buy one and how easy is it to get other ROMs if necessary?

Google is out of the question.

But i was thinking something more generally used by many people, yet not everyone. If that makes sense.

Edit: I'm looking at OnePlus....

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I'm pretty sure you can re-image the ROM on the 1+1 - it was designed for such as I recall. It actually is running Android 6.x now (latest system updates). It is a bit different in terms of screen icons/images than my Samsung Galaxy S5 which is running the same Android version (6.0.1), but other than that...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mindsword View Post
    Google is out of the question.
    well, those phones are usually called google (something...).
    once you install something else on it, it's just a normal LG Nexus or whatever.

my answer is the correct one to your question.
    the reason is that (unlike PC computers) on smartphones, you have to redesign the operating system for every device - that's why developers usually concentrate on 1 or 2 devices only. and those usually are google developer phones.
    this holds true for ubuntu phone and a few security-aware android-based systems.
    take it or leave it.
    believe me, been there, done that.

have a look here for starters.

your only alternative is something like this.

I'm looking at OnePlus, but 1+1 seems to be nowhere and the rest are using something called Oxygen OS. I don't even know if it comes with regular android and you actually have to flash it yourself.

Im stumped. So pros and cons of an older nexus phone?

Also there seems to be alot of new OS's out there. Which one would be my best bet? Oxygen, CM, Cyanogen OS, something else, or plain old Android out of the box, and which phone is best suited for each?

I also ended up here: https://cyngn.com/get-cyanogen-os
    but i have no idea what im looking at

**** is getting too complicated too fast. is there any way to slow down progress?

im currently between google nexus (5X & 6P), LG nexus 5X (basically just because i found it cheap as hell), OnePlus 3 and any of the phones with native cyanogen OS in the above link. i've also long forgotten about the main points in the OP, now im just trying to make sense of it all........ which phones would be recommended for running, say, CM14? (The real CM not cyanogen OS)
    Last edited by mindsword; 01-03-2017 at 10:49 AM.

-->
    Well, CM just was shut down, though downloads are available on download.com. You may be better off just getting Android. There is a nice phone simulator for development purposes you can install. I used it back in the Nexus One days, but not for some time.