Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Android Alternative? I know its old news!

I know this is old news but with private companies becoming more and more controlling over us and the internet etc I really really really want to find an android alternative.

From my understanding there is ubuntu and sailfish but I guess they are not working anymore or dont get updates?

I guess my question is, which one is less obsolete. I this point I am almost ready to get a flip phone just to avoid all the intrusiveness

Just Joined!
    https://plasma-mobile.org/

It's my understanding Purism's Librem phone will use this and it's definitely being actively developed right now. I bought a refurbished Nexus 5 on eBay for $100 just to play with it... using Android 6.0.1 on it for the moment though. Personally, I was very disappointed Plasma Mobile is 32-bit ARMHF and they don't even offer ARM64 packages in their repo for other people to try. So forget about a 64-bit Linux phone.

Linux Guru
    +1 for librem phone.
    or something like this: android-security.md

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    They do have AMD64 packages in their repo interestingly enough. I'm not aware of any phone that use Intel or AMD chips but anywho... there is a 7th gen i7 Lenovo Thinkpad X1 "Carbon" with Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE modem though.

Apple phones are ARM64 so -1 for a 32-bit Linux phone. Not supporting ARM64 puts them so far behind the curve it'll be impossible to catch up. In fact, it makes more sense to use old phone hardware with Plasma Mobile than new hardware. Purism can keep their expensive phone I have to pay for in advance.
    https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=06282017b
    As a reminder, new iOS apps and updates submitted to the App Store must support 64-bit. Support for 32-bit apps is not available in iOS 11 and all 32-bit apps previously installed on a userís device will not launch.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepuff View Post
    I know this is old news but with private companies becoming more and more controlling over us and the internet etc I really really really want to find an android alternative.

From my understanding there is ubuntu and sailfish but I guess they are not working anymore or dont get updates?

I guess my question is, which one is less obsolete. I this point I am almost ready to get a flip phone just to avoid all the intrusiveness
    Sailfish is still under active development, Ubuntu Phone is dead. The advantage of sailfish is the Android compatibility layer which permits to run Android apps

Wow thanks for all the info! I already ordered a Nexus 5 off of ebay.

I looked up the Librem phone and I like! Though...quite expensive.

I may very well try sailfish AND the other one two once my phone gets here.

Sailfish sounds convenient as in runs google apps. I don't like that plasma advertises its phone as a "hacker"

phone. I work in an industry with some very nosy people. Last thing I want is some kind of rumor like that going around.

Currently I am trying to find the place on the sailfish website to download the erm "OS?"

Have to admit, I am somewhat of a noob .....(please don't stone me). : )

Linux Guru
    I don't like that plasma advertises its phone as a "hacker"
    phone. I work in an industry with some very nosy people. Last thing I want is some kind of rumor like that going around.
    i think you got that wrong.

ehhhh

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

Linux Guru
    ehhhh
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0737bb60e1.jpg

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk
    what is the point of this?
    "ehhhh" is not a statement.
    have you used up your limit of complete english sentences for the month?