Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Raspberry Pi good enough for Youtube?

Hi,I've never used one, I wanna know - the latest version, is that number Two?....can I surf the web, including video sites such as Youtube on it?Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Pi 3 is the latest and it's ARM64 but Broadcom's VideoCore graphics still sux. Personally I wouldn't use it at 1080P or higher as scaling is particularly slow. Videos seem OK at original resolutions though and since there's no BIOS it can't be bricked, no matter how l33t the h@X0r.

Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    Hi,I've never used one, I wanna know - the latest version, is that number Two?....can I surf the web, including video sites such as Youtube on it?Thanks.
    I have a Pi3b that I got to play with, as an upgrade to my Pi2. I can say that while they are amazing little devices for doing stuff, my idea of using the Pi as my portable debugging PC instead of my laptop has not worked out. The ARM core they run is super fast compared to embedded processors, but no where near a PC CPU esp. in terms of things like onboard cache. Also, the Pi doesn't have access to the same RAM and the onboard GPU is limited. As such I found that running more than a window or two slowed the device down too much - browsers are memory hogs. Running video from youtube/vlc was not a great experience either - once the video was running it's ok... but moving the mouse to exit full-screen etc. jammed things up for seconds at least. For general terminal work things were fine.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that the Pi, and other similar devices, are great for the middle area between an embedded device, and a proper PC. But if you want to do desktop work, you can't beat a PC CPU of some sort.

Good luck!
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close