Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does any one know how to install linux on a handheld computer or ps2. i know how to install it on xbox but i dont have and xbox....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

linux on a handheld or PS2

Does any one know how to install linux on a handheld computer or ps2.
    i know how to install it on xbox but i dont have and xbox.
    Windows is the problem, Linux is the solution!

I seem to remember there being a software development kit being available for the PS2 which came with a harddrive preinstalled with Linux and a few game content creation tools. For the life of me I can't remember where I read that though.

The main problem you'll have installing Linux on a PS2 is that (unless you bought one bundled with Final Fantasy XI) they don't come with a harddrive right out of the box, whereas the Xbox does.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    the reason that i dont want and xbox is because i would have to open the xbox to install a modchip where in ps2 i can just plug in the modchip and play

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I did some googling on "Linux for PS2" and found this:

Sony's Linux on PS2 site
    Buying the PS2 Linux kit

Of course, I just noticed the big red letters saying "The Linux kit is no longer available in North America"... so you may be out of luck.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

it wasn't very good. i never actualy had it but from the detaills of it its still equivelent to redhat 6.2
    since it ran on a ps2 proc, it couldnt run almost any pre-compiled program. it wes supposedly still somewhat unstable and was intended for people hoping to develop ps2 games. it was around $ 100us and came with a logitech keybord and mouse, hdd, and eather-thingy. its a shame they couldnt do a little better. it would be cool to have an OS for the ps2 but it also couldnt read ps2 disks (or ps1) while the OS was on.

i too wanted to know if there was a pda or something like that linux.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by new2linux4now
    the reason that i dont want and xbox is because i would have to open the xbox to install a modchip where in ps2 i can just plug in the modchip and play
    there is a thing called softmodding an xbox where you take advantage of known exploits in games and hack it that way, without ever opening the xbox
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=215055

Linux Enthusiast
    The problem with running Linux on an PS2 is that the PS2 uses a highly non-standard MIPS processor. If it were closer to the standard, you could probably run pre-compiled MIPS code on it, as well anything that's compatible with MIPS processors.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux Newbie
    The ps2 side of the question seems to have been handled. For the handheld side, http://www.handhelds.org would be the first place I'd look. After that, I'd google for various handhelds + Linux(ie ipaq+linux yields many pages of usable results).
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Linux Newbie
    thanks for all your replys.
    i will just have to use an xbox