Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a new device, but I don't know what to get. No, I'm got going to ask which is the better of two devices, because I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need Some Advice on a new Device

Hey everyone!
    I'm looking for a new device, but I don't know what to get.
    No, I'm got going to ask which is the better of two devices, because I have no idea whats out there (if anything) that fits what I need.

Really, all I need is something pocketable, responsive, able to browse the web, play video and make call, and maybe even send and receive email.
    Oh, at atleast 2 hours battery life.

Well, I got a ultra mobile laptop (12" although I could have gone 10" or 8")
    I like it but the lack of a optical drive and interal wifi and bluetooth is annoying.
    I bought a Acer Aspire 3003WLCI 15.4" Widescreen 1.8G mobile sempron, internal wifi and bluetooth, plus a combo drive.
    but it was too big, the graphics card sucked, it overheated when I would play game and most importantly, the standard battery only last 30 mins :O.

I've also tried the Zire 21, 31, and 72. All nice, not what I'm looking for
    I've tried the Jornada 720, and there was no software for it, not to mention the crappy browser and inablilty to play video.
    I've tried the Tapwave zodiac too, so far, my favorite, however, it got broken before I had a chance to really use it so its not a fair comparison.

So, after that long device history what would you guys suggest? I'm considering the Nokia 770, but I think I won't like it due to the lack of a harddrive.

It seems the only device that is suited for me is that mobile pc Microsoft is suppost to be working on (http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/07/m...ance-for-umpc/)
    If it has wifi, bluetooth and decent battery life that is.

Oh, and about the OQO, my friend just got one, and I hate the keyboard. :-/
    Thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Edude03
    Really, all I need is something pocketable, responsive, able to browse the web, play video and make call, and maybe even send and receive email.
    Oh, at atleast 2 hours battery life.
    Hmmm, I got all that on my mobile phone!
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Roxoff: Lol, although true, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg.
    However, I am seriously considering a Sidekick 3 when it comes here.
    Although, some nice guy on irc last night suggested a PMA400 series device, and I think I know why my wallet is opening on its own.
    Thanks
    Michael
    If anyone else has any suggestions I would still love to hear them incase the archos doesn't work out.
    Also, I perfer a combination of keyboard and touch screen for my input method so it looks like I'm leaning to the pda side.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    seem to remember the treo series of pda-phones were pretty near to what you wanted, the psions are pretty cool as well. have a look on amazon under computing/pda/
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Linux Enthusiast
    Treo all the way.

I was strongly considering a Treo, although, I'm leaning more toward PocketPC, and SIP over GSM since I'm getting VoIP for home too.
    But the black tie edition treo is making me consider it again.

Oh, actually, I just remember why I don't want a treo that badly,
    PalmOS has sucky web broswers, the resolution isn't that great (even the 800x600 res on my ultra mobile is annoying) and treo doesn't have built in wifi, which makes the 600 dollar device 700 plus tax for the expansion card, and it doesn't do SIP.
    :-/ I'm very picky

EDIT: I realize that the new Treo series, 700W run Windows Mobile,
    Now lets get some wifi . And I'm concerned about storage and screen size, so treo doesn't really work :-/