Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've been searching around for a thread like this but i found only the ones that explain solving this problem by using yast. well, since my OS is xubuntu 7.04 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tutorial - setting up a home network

i've been searching around for a thread like this but i found only the ones that explain solving this problem by using yast. well, since my OS is xubuntu 7.04 and i am a pretty average linux user that knows only a few basic console commands i need a tutorial that explains a-z how to make a home network.

it will consist of:

PC1 - xubuntu 7.04
    PC2 - windows xp professional
    PC3 - windows 2000
    PC4 - xubuntu 7.04

i want them all to share files and a printer.

it will run over a router and soon i'll replace the router with a switch, connected to a ADSL modem.

till now, i've only established windows to windows networks by using the simple wizard. all i know about my situation is that i need samba but don't know what exactly it is or how to use it.

i've only found those tutorials where you do pretty much everything through terminal with commands that i have no clue of what exactly do they do and i actually don't really want to know.

so if it's possible, i want to do it the gui way.

thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
    i've been searching around for a thread like this but i found only the ones that explain solving this problem by using yast. well, since my OS is xubuntu 7.04 and i am a pretty average linux user that knows only a few basic console commands i need a tutorial that explains a-z how to make a home network.

it will consist of:

PC1 - xubuntu 7.04
    PC2 - windows xp professional
    PC3 - windows 2000
    PC4 - xubuntu 7.04

i want them all to share files and a printer.

it will run over a router and soon i'll replace the router with a switch, connected to a ADSL modem.

till now, i've only established windows to windows networks by using the simple wizard. all i know about my situation is that i need samba but don't know what exactly it is or how to use it.

i've only found those tutorials where you do pretty much everything through terminal with commands that i have no clue of what exactly do they do and i actually don't really want to know.

so if it's possible, i want to do it the gui way.

thanks in advance.
    Quick HOWTO: Linux Home Networking and Linux Forums Help

there is lot of good stuff here. choose the one that u require and learn it. i could have told u but the process it too lengthy, but is easy to do. i'll give u some points & hints to remember.

put all ur machines on the same subnet, say for eg:

PC1 - xubuntu 7.04 ip= 192.169.1.5 netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1
    PC2 - windows xp professional ip= 192.168.1.6 netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1
    PC3 - windows 2000 ip=192.168.1.7 netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1
    PC4 - xubuntu 7.04 ip=192.168.1.8 netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1

assuming that ur routers address is 192.168.1.1. if u do not configure the gateway then also just by giving the ip's & netmask u should be able to ping all the machines, this would be the scenario when u replace the router with a switch b'cas normal home switches generally do not have any ip address.

once u get this try reading the link that i've send & other stuff on the net to find more about networking & feel free to contact me once u r through this initial setup.