Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, jeesh i feel like a complete n00b, but I can't for the life of me connect to road runner. Linux recognizes my NIC (eth0), and it supports DHCP. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Connecting to Road Runner

Hello All,
    jeesh i feel like a complete n00b, but I can't for the life of me connect to road runner. Linux recognizes my NIC (eth0), and it supports DHCP. It tries to activate it on bootup when I have my laptop connected to my cable modem and it says
    Determining IP Information for eth0....[FAILED]
    So I say ok, I haven't run the rrconf script yet or anything that would let linux know i'm connecting to rr. so i login, run ./rrconf and enter all of the info. then i run ./rrlogind -v and it returns without output. So then I try to activate eth0 and it says once again FAILED. I have read the couple relevant threads on linuxforums.org and googled this to hell without hitting paydirt. Dolda, you seemed pretty knoweledgable in another thread involving RR, so do you think you might give me a nudge? I am running Red Hat 9 on a Toshiba Portégé 7020CT Laptop and dmesg tells me:

Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver - version 2.3.18-k1

My ethernet card is a 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]

If anyone can give me a clue I will be forever grateful!
    Thank you VERY much,
    -lakerdonald

Linux Guru
    What kind of channel does RR use? Isn't it PPPoE or something similarly sinister?

ummmm....wha?
    lol

What kind of channel does RR use? Isn't it PPPoE or something similarly sinister?
    RoadRunner just uses DHCP.....

And no script should be needed it should just connect since the cablemodem holds the connection, so to me it sounds like the nic is not configged correctly for dhcp (to accept it's IP from the cable god's)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

k so how do i make that work?

Linux Guru
    FYI: PPPoE is PPP over Ethernet - that is, a pseudo-ethernet channel which is character-stream-encoded and sent over an Ethernet network. Completely stupid and worthless if you ask me. And those who use it only do so to provide authentication... so stupid...

I'm glad to hear the RR don't use it. Anyway, lakerdonald, what kind of fault is it really? Is it just a plain timeout, or does it return quickly enough that it can't be a timeout? What happens if you try to run your DHCP client daemon (probably pump, dhcpcd or dhclient) manually?

it takes several minutes so i guess it is a timeout... I haven't tried running the client manually. I'll go do that.

i ran dhclient with no luck. It didn't receive any DHCPOFFERS and it timed out
    help
    -lakerdonald

it worked

it finally freaking worked! lol
    I just reset my modem (doh!)
    and did:
    Code:
    ifup eth0
    and then: TADA! Thanks very much dolda and everyone on IRC who helped me out!
    -lakerdonald