Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I'm doing some tests in order to host my own site. I haven't registered a domain yet since I'm in a test phase. My test site (mytest.com) is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS Question

Hi everyone.

I'm doing some tests in order to host my own site. I haven't registered a domain yet since I'm in a test phase.
    My test site (mytest.com) is hosted on my linux box (debian). Apache Web server and DNS server (bind9) are up an running.

My question is related to DNS.

On the local network everything is working great. On a windows xp box I point the DNS server to the local IP address of the linux box. After waiting around 1 minute if I go to http://mytest.com I get the corresponding html page hosted on the linux box.

Now I'm trying to do some tests from outside of the local network.
    Before doing this I forwarded the corresponding ports on the router:
    53 (DNS)
    80 (HTTP)
    and pointed them to the linux box local ip address.
    Ok. In an outside network I changed the DNS server of a windows xp box and pointed it to the public IP address where the linux box is.
    If I go to: http://xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx = public ip address) the web server works correctly and serves the incoming request on port 80 and shows the corresponding html page. But if I go to http://mytest.com firefox says: time limit exceeded (after 30 seconds trying to connect to mytest.com)

I would like to ask if it is possible to test this resolution name process over the internet without registering a domain name on any registrar (I don't want to register a domain name yet because these are just tests I'm doing now).

Thanks in advance

Best regards

You most probably use a local IP range, e.g. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x in your local net. If you point your external XP to the external IP of your DNS it will return a 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x address for mytest.com but this IP isn't forwarded in the internet because it's a local network.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Make sure that the test machine (outside your network) only
    has one dns server configured (yours). If it has more than one,
    it will alternate between them. Also, windows caches the recent
    DNS lookups, so you must flush the cache.

Code:
    C:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your replies framp and rcgreen.
    In fact, the external XP has only one DNS server (the linux box public IP). I also tried flushing the dns cache with ipconfig /flushdns, but the name mytest.com isn't resolved yet.

As framp said, I think the name isn't resolved because the linux box public IP isn't forwarded in the Internet.

I think I will register a domain and continue with these tests.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Best Regards

"I would like to ask if it is possible to test this resolution name process over the internet without registering a domain name on any registrar (I don't want to register a domain name yet because these are just tests I'm doing now)."

No its not possiable. Did you dig your DNS? If you then please post the output.

#dig yoursite.com
    and
    dig -x X.X.X.X