Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all, i am opening up two tap interfaces, both connected to bridge, assigning them IP addresses and want to open up tcp connection b/w them without using loopback interface, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

routing b/w two interfaces of same maching w/o using loopback

hello all,

i am opening up two tap interfaces, both connected to bridge, assigning them IP addresses and want to open up tcp connection b/w them without using loopback interface, so i bind client socket to first tap using SO_BINDTODEVICE option and socket server listening on other tap device.
    The problem is that when i m calling connect, it is giving timeout error.

Is it possible two route traffic b/w two interfaces of same machine w/o using loopback interface and kernel hacking

thanx
    jaguar

I wonder if intra-network messages could be routed without loopback interface.

Basically, this decision is taken care by kernel. Packets destined to external network are sent to the approproate interface by raising interrupts to the cards. Intra-network packets need not require the intervention of interfaces .... no h/w interrupts and are routed through loopback interface.
    ---------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #440311
    HI2ARUN _AT_ GMAIL _DOT_ COM
    ---------------------------------

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar_linux View Post
    hello all,

i am opening up two tap interfaces, both connected to bridge, assigning them IP addresses and want to open up tcp connection b/w them without using loopback interface, so i bind client socket to first tap using SO_BINDTODEVICE option and socket server listening on other tap device.
    The problem is that when i m calling connect, it is giving timeout error.

Is it possible two route traffic b/w two interfaces of same machine w/o using loopback interface and kernel hacking

thanx
    jaguar
    Hi,,,

I am using a router emultor in linux, for that i need to configure tap interfaces. How can i configure tthem? I am verynew to linux. Please help