Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have the server and single client,in server i have dual booting with windows server 2003 and Linux rhel ws3 ,In my client i have windows XP, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux-Windows Networking

Hi All,

I have the server and single client,in server i have dual booting with windows server 2003 and Linux rhel ws3 ,In my client i have windows XP, i need to access the server from client and wise versa,how can i enable the network options?

How can i use samba server?

Any one can guide me?

The starting point is to make sure you windows and linux usernames match, and that the same passwords are being used in Linux and Windows. Also ensure that networking is working from all platforms on both computers.

Then edit /etc/samba/smb.conf (the location may vary depending on your Linux distribution) on the server and work your way through it. The standard file is documented well enough to lead you through your first time config.

Finally check that samba is working (either 'service smbd start' or '/etc/rc.d/init/smbd start' as root). Dont forget to add the smbd service to your current runlevel with the chkconfig command (with 'chkconfig smbd on') so that it starts when the computer restarts - you could also use your favourite runlevel editor for this too.

If you hit any problems with any bits of the smb.conf file, then dont be afraid to ask questions here. The more specific your questions, the more specific our help can be.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/