Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, First of all I must tell you than I'm a Portuguese GNU/Linux user, so I'll try to write english for you ppl understand... I have a adsl internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Random public IP address and no-ip.org.

Hi there,

First of all I must tell you than I'm a Portuguese GNU/Linux user, so I'll try to write english for you ppl understand...

I have a adsl internet access, a adsl modem router (SMC Barricade), I've a dynamic public IP adress and I'm using no-ip.org to help me to have a known location on the internet, it's working fine.

This is the scenario, but because I have a smal network at home I would like to have some services running from there, services like 1 - ftp, 2 - mail-server, 3 - apache, 4 - vpn server, just for start.

Obviously I'm not asking you to tell me how to configure all thoose stuff, my question is:

Can I use no-ip.org or equal services to set up thoose kind of services? I already have 1 local DNS server, it will work for my-domain.no-ip.org?

I'm just looking for some lines, if anyone have already done this, or any other opinions would be nice.

Linux rules.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Just Joined!
    I think you can use no-ip.org because I do it at home and I am behind a proxy.

The only one thing you need is to allow the no-ip's software to send information over the net. If you don't have a firewall blocking outgoing connection it will work well.

Just Joined!

No problem I think.

My no-ip.org is actualy working since a month or so with no problems. Every time my IP changes it is updated in a few seconds.

I saw that no-ip.org is also able to point to some NS and A records, is that right?

If so then I must have at least 2 NS servers at home, pointed by no-ip.org, just like other custom domain?

Your help here in linuxforums is great, thanks a lot, I'm working on CISCO CCNA and CCNP, and all the thanges of ideas made here have been very helpfull.

I'll work on it latter and at the weekend ,then I'll post for results or for more help.

Regards...

Linux Guru
    Well, I haven't used no-ip.org, so I can't help you with their specific setup, but if they allow you to have NS records, then you usually have to have two of those, yes. The convention is to have two DNS servers (which must also have different IP address in that case), but you can usually just set both records to the same IP address, which would probably be your only choice in this case.

The thing is, with a mail server, you need a MX record. As for all the others (FTP, HTTP, VPN...), you don't have to do anything special at all with the DNS setup (that is, nothing apart from the A record that you obviously already have). Those should be working already as it is.

Just Joined!

About records

Yes when I was configuring my DNS server I've just set it up having this problems already in my mind, and because of that I already have NS, MX, A and CNAME records. It's all working like a charm...

Now I must open/route well known service ports with my adsl modem/router, it do it, just have to look the manual

At no-ip.org I'll have to point all records to my single public ip address (adsl router side), then with my router NAT/NATP capability I'll redirect the trafic to my network hosts where the services are running. Isn't that right!?

Reading is very important to understand anythig, but when we go to put it in practice we experiment lots of doubts.

Once again, thanks a lot!

(Portugal footbal team will play latter, so today is not the day to networking. We'll win... I hope!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    The thing is, with a mail server, you need a MX record. As for all the others (FTP, HTTP, VPN...), you don't have to do anything special at all with the DNS setup (that is, nothing apart from the A record that you obviously already have). Those should be working already as it is.
    You do not need mx records only when relaying for a domain.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, but I'm under the impression that that's what he wants to do.