Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, here is the deal. I have spent labor day setting up my Linux-based network, and have been stuck for a few hours on this: I have a Window$ PC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Simple/stupid question - LAN setup

So, here is the deal.

I have spent labor day setting up my Linux-based network, and have been stuck for a few hours on this:

I have a Window$ PC from which I would like to transfer data to my Linux box. I plan to do this via SSH (using putty from my Window$ machine).

I have connected both ethernet cards together (Linux Box - To - Windows Box), and I am trying to configure them as a LAN.

So, after searching the Internet I have tried:
    # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
    # route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0

And then setting the Window$ Box to:
    IP: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

I know this was probably stupid to do, so if you can spare the time (as I am sure it takes less than 1 min to write a fix for this) I ask for your help in setting this up.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I forgot to mention, that I do not want to setup DHCP or anything, I just want to transfer files (too big to put in any portable device). Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    Try making Linux box as the default gateway, and use crossover cable or connect through switch.

Thanks -- Solved

So, I was using just a regular Ethernet cable from Computer A (Linux) to B (Window$). As it was suggested by your post I assumed that this was the problem. So I just connected a router in between Computer A (Linux) and Computer B (Window$). And I let the router take care of the LAN addressing via DHCP (I didn't do this to begin with, because I didn't think this was necessary for such a simple task).

Thanks for the suggestion.