Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently switched from a linux based firewall vpn to another vpn product and am now finding that user vpns drop off after a while. The vpn has changed algoithms ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

VPN connections dropping - AES timeout vs 3DES?

I've recently switched from a linux based firewall vpn to another vpn product and am now finding that user vpns drop off after a while. The vpn has changed algoithms from 3DES to AES and I suspect that this is the reason why the connection seems to be dropping more and is less resilient to network latency.

Does anyone know whether AES is more touchy about network latency that 3DES?

Or have any other ideas what can cause this new vpn to drop off so much, I notice that it happens more on slow connections...

I'm considering setting up a gentoo vpn box just for this although I've never taken the time to do this so i'd be a learning curve...

Linux Enthusiast
    Can you tell us what the new VPN software is? Without knowing that, any answers we give would be little better than guesses.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

they are juniper netscreen SSG-140s.

I think they are terrible compared to the linux based firewalls we used to have...

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm afraid I've never used one of those so I probably wont be able to help much. Do you get any interesting error messages from either end of the connection when the tunnel is dropped?

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

i just get a message that the vpn "remote workers" from ip.add.re.ss is down.

that's all.

the logging is not that great, about as good as the product itself really...