Find the answer to your Linux question:
i use a speedtouch 516 ethernet adsl modem and fedora 7. when i want to use programs that use the torrent protocol i always get some really low speeds. if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy firewall or router blocks p2p ports

i use a speedtouch 516 ethernet adsl modem and fedora 7. when i want to use programs that use the torrent protocol i always get some really low speeds. if i check the port using the port tests incorporated in those programs (deluge, azureus) they always show me that the port is closed. i tried using iptables to add that port, firestarter but no resoult. even stopping iptables leads to nothing. the same answer: the port is closed. shields up told me that all my ports are in stealth mode. i did a telnet 10.0.0.138 to see if there are any settings in the modem that don't allow me to use p2p programs.i've had this pb on sabayon linux too. Can you pls help? can this be a router related problem?
    what is interesting is that i have no problems with internet on windows.

Hiya FuzZy2007,
    It most certainly could be the router, try going to the router set up page and look for "port forwarding" or "Virtual Servers". You'll need to know which port to open.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    i didn't find anything like that. in the advanced setup tap i have these:
    Diagnostics
    Easy Setup
    IP Addresses
    IP Routing
    NAPT
    DHCP
    DNS
    System
    System Password
    Templates
    Language

Well, I can't tell where you need to look, but there must be a way for you to punch a hole through the router/firewall, you might try looking for a DMZ in the router, which basically doesn't monitor or protect whichever IP address you add.
    Which kind of router is it anyways? Maybe we can find some online docs to figure this out.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    i found out that port forwarding was in section NAPT. i did port forwarding tcp for port 6881 with inside ip 10.0.0.65 and outside ip 0.0.0.0 specified in my network's configuration. what is interesting is that in linux, with these settings i see no differences in the internet's speed for my torrent programs.