Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Folks, Linux networking no longer works on my PC For the last few months I had both WinXP and Mint Linux (Cassandra) installed on my PC. Couple of days ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux networking gone, Windows works

Hi Folks,

Linux networking no longer works on my PC

For the last few months I had both WinXP and Mint Linux (Cassandra) installed on my PC. Couple of days ago suddenly Mint networking stopped functioning - a red X appeared on the network applette and Firefox couldn't connect to anything, not even my router. I tried booting Mint from the LiveCD, no networking (it worked before). I booted from a PCLinuxOS 2007 LiveCD - no network (it worked before). Tried again, this time with DSL LiveCD - still nothing. Windows OTOH connected with no problems.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Once you've booted up into Mint Linux, open up a terminal and type dmesg as root. That will show you all the messages that appeared during the bootup sequence. There should be a few messages relating to your network card (might be eth0, eth1 etc) If you can find the error messages, post them here, that way we can see what the problem is.

You can also have a look in /var/log/messages there might be more errors there.

Linux Enthusiast
    Reboot your router. That may be all you need to do.

Just Joined!

Linux networking gone, Windows works - Solved

Hi,

I turned everything off and on but nothing was changed until I pulled the power cord out from the computer. That did the trick.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by yoav_by View Post
    ... until I pulled the power cord out from the computer. That did the trick...
    Interesting: So it's a difference whether you execute an OS power off or a hard power off
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by framp View Post
    Interesting: So it's a difference whether you execute an OS power off or a hard power off
    I noticed on some other PC a LED on the mobo that is always ON - even when the power is off - unless the power cord is pulled out. With yet another PC I had troubles turning it on after a power failure until I pulled the cord out and back in.