Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I asked this one in another forum already and didn't get any replies. I hope I get some help here. I'm new to Samba and would appreciate help with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help please with smb.conf

Hi,
    I asked this one in another forum already and didn't get any replies. I hope I get some help here.

I'm new to Samba and would appreciate help with setting up my smb.conf on my Ubuntu server.
    Here's what I'd like to do:

I have users with Ubuntu laptops and each user should be able to access their (and only their) /home/user folder on the server. Ideally the Ubuntu logon on their laptop should be passed on to the server (or also stored on the server).

Once in a while we have people with Windows XP laptops enter the office. I would like to set up a /home/public folder on the server that everybody on the network can access (Ubuntu and Win XP laptops) without authentication. The various Win XP laptops are from different client companies, so they are all on different workgroups.

I've done a fair bit of reading and it seems feasible, but I didn't succeed so far. Network is not a problem, ping works to and from each machine.
    Thanks for any hints!

hmhmhm

Linux Newbie
    HI,
    When I tried to configure samba for the first time, it didnt go very well for me. Every time i ended up confused. to get my samba server up and running, i followed this tutorial which describes each step very nicely, so that we will know what we are doing. But in my case i had only one domain including linux and XP. This tutorial might help for you after making some modification that matches your situation. Hope this help.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ups-howto.html

GoodLuck

Just Joined!
    Thanks Nabaachy,
    That link certainly helps a lot! I'll use this to set up my smb.conf. If anybody has an idea about what I could do about the multiple domains, that would be great!
    Thanks!
    hmhmhm