Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed ubuntu on a laptop, and when I plug a known good ethernet cord into it the link light does not come on. I know the computer identified ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dead network card?

I just installed ubuntu on a laptop, and when I plug a known good ethernet cord into it the link light does not come on.

I know the computer identified the adapter from looking at dmesg and ifconfig, but it is definitely not working.

Can I rule out the idea that it is a software issue?

Just Joined!

router??

My guess is that if ifconfig gives you an IP address, your netcard is probably fine. If there's no blinky light on it, could mean that whatever you have the other end plugged into (router, hub, etc) might be the problem. Usually netcards are a no brainer to get working.

Quote Originally Posted by geebs View Post
    My guess is that if ifconfig gives you an IP address, your netcard is probably fine. If there's no blinky light on it, could mean that whatever you have the other end plugged into (router, hub, etc) might be the problem. Usually netcards are a no brainer to get working.
    I'm sorry. I guess I wasn't clear: I can see the device eth0 in ifconfig, which means the computer is acknowledging that there is an ethernet card, it just isn't working.

Just Joined!
    Hmmmm... I can only suggest a couple of things.
    Check the BIOS for anything related to your network card. Perhaps *something* is set up wrong. Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ??? Is there a wireless ethernet card inside that might be using eth0?? Perhaps get a PCMCIA network card. They're relatively cheap. Sorry if any of my suggestions don't help you any.

Just Joined!
    You should be able to see the card with the command lspci

thank you for all the helpful suggestions, guys.

I am able to see the card with lspci, but that doesn't seem to help me much.

Ubuntu appears to be using the right driver, tulip--I googled on it and it seems that what everyone else uses on omnibook xe3s...

Do you think it could be a bad card? You'd think that if it was bad it wouldn't work at all...

I might just have to get an external card for it.