Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
It's all clear to me now. As I suspected you are switching cables and you can't do that with most modems. The modem sees the mac address of your XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

It's all clear to me now.

As I suspected you are switching cables and you can't do that with most modems. The modem sees the mac address of your XP box and locks in connection to it. When you switch to another box, it looks for that same mac address but when it doesn't see it, it won't make a connection... unless you like, unplug both over night, and reboot them many hours later. Then it will associate with the other mac address.

This is why they make routers...

If you hook up both machines to a router, you will have Internet connection to both. I'm 95% certain that this is what's going on since almost all wired network interface cards work like a charm under Linux. Maybe borrow a router from a friend just to see before buying one.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help guys!!

Well? Joy? Can you share with us how you got it sorted?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hello
    I was able to get my internet to work on my box by unplugging the cable box out for a few mintues and replugging it back in while the computer was turned off( not sure if it really matters that the pc is either off or on).

I would like to give thanks to all that helped me fix the problem. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2