Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a friends computer here, i just wiped the disk, put on win xp, then pclinoxs. i have wireless 512 lan internet and a wired linkys router. All was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't connect to the internet !

i have a friends computer here, i just wiped the disk, put on win xp, then pclinoxs. i have wireless 512 lan internet and a wired linkys router. All was working well at first, i was able to connect to the internet with windows, got all the updates etc, then i did the same with pclinoxs , got all the updates etc, all still working fine. then i installed nexuiz on linux and the graphics were no good so i installed through synaptic nvidia drivers and all was well had a couple of games of nexuiz over the net was going great, then i went back to windows got the rest of the updates, that was fully updated. i went back into linux and when i boot into verbose mode i get a failure when it trys to connect to the net, so i rebooted the router, then the computer, still fails. so i try windows, that connects and works fine. i tried redoing my connection in linux but it still won't connect. Any ideas?
    sorry for long winded explaination but i'm new and tried to give every step i did in case someone can see what happened.
    i put my other pcs back on the router and they connect under linux no worries.

If the updates to Linux included a kernel update, you might need to recompile your drivers for the new kernel.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    i did all the updates, and it was working fine after the updates i rebooted and it was fine, it just happened after i installed the nvidia driver that was the last thing i did and the internet was still working after that as i had a couple of games of nexuiz.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    post you ifconfig -a and lspci output

Just Joined!
    thanks for your help, i have actually found out what the problem was. i had an old pci winmodem installed which was no longer being used and was know to be faulty, i just hadn't got around to removing it. now thats gone all is well, it threw me as i could connect to the internet at first, and i hadn't made any changes to anything to do with networking, i even reinstalled from scratch again and it still wouldn't work, then i had a brainwave that the modem might be causing a problem and it was, now i have to get all the updates again grrrrr

Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.