Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all u Nix gods/godesses , (noob to this forum) I have been working on sum practice Network admin tasks in Nix but have come to a grinding halt on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Manual DHCP configuration in Slackware 10

Hey all u Nix gods/godesses ,

(noob to this forum)

I have been working on sum practice Network admin tasks in Nix but have come to a grinding halt on this one.

I am seemingly unable to 'hack' the dhcp config file to a use configuration for only my machine soon to be 2 more. Although after countless guesses based on the man page template and ip addressing knowledge I already posses (very little) plus zillions of searches on google, I thought I might pray to the Nix gods/esses and hope for an answer .

I am pretty much half way to Nix veterancy IMHO others may say otherwise.

Thanks.

Cypher2k

If I'm reading your post correctly you want to have your DHCP server give your machine (and soon others) the same IP every time? In that case:

Code:
    host yourbox {

hardware ethernet 08:00:2b:4c:59:23;
    fixed-address 192.168.1.222;

}
    Just add your machine's hostname in and change the MAC to your box's and the IP to your liking.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I want to to the same kind of things, and I know you can easily do it by editing the /etc/dhcpd.conf as you said
    But I'd like to do it without using the mac address. I know it is possible to do it by using a USB key on each client, but I don't really know how to do it so.
    My problem is that I'm gonna have to change the clients' (the computers) so the mac address will be different and I don't want to have to get to the dhcpd.conf file after the installation.

Does anyone has any idea on the subject?

thanks

Umm...the MAC address is different for every NIC in the world. You wouldn't have to change them. They are already unique.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

Thanks guys and gals I did it

Cheers for all the help peeps

You'll make a nix god out of me yet .
    After much sleep deprivation I finally did it by using one of the samples in the help pdfs of a samba tar ball. All is good now but...

I go to check my mail after dialing the internet and I find that sylpheed claws (and probably anything else I could of used) was attempting to connect to the bt openworld mail server through my newly configured dhcp server.

I didnt even set it up as a gateway. Surely there's a hack to get round this. I dont have ADSL yet I need ppp0 to be used right now.
    For now I am set to local loopback.

Cypher2k