Find the answer to your Linux question:
Someone just connected to my new Netgear WGR614 router wirelessly (probably a neighbor) and I can't figure out how to kick him off. On the old Linksys one I could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to kick people off my Netgear router?

Someone just connected to my new Netgear WGR614 router wirelessly (probably a neighbor) and I can't figure out how to kick him off. On the old Linksys one I could remove the user directly from the router and even ban the mac address. On this Netgear I see nothing of the sort.

Does anyone know how to mac filter or manually edit dhcp release tables on this thing?
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

Linux Enthusiast
    The manual I found (http://www.engin.umich.edu/labs/EAST...ref_manual.pdf it's a PDF) says there is an advanced menu with a wireless option in it. From there you should see a "wireless card access list" which will allow you to set which MAC addresses are permitted.

It is important to know that your 'guest' can get your MAC address out of the air and set their own to match. They can be online at the same time and unless you are looking for them you will not notice anything. This even works if you enable WEP and they crack it.

The only thing I am aware of that will keep people off your network is WPA or better.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Yea I saw that - there appears to be a way to whitelist macs but no way to blacklist em. Ugh. Also ticks me off that there's no (that I've found) way to delete dhcp clients.

Yea the only reason there's no security as of yet is that the Netgear security wasn't playing nice with my girlfriend's Macbook. I'll certainly be looking into fixes in the near future tho.

Not too worried about my neighbors mac spoofing but I'll definitely keep an eye out. Thanks for the reply.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    For historical reasons I haven't enabled WPA on my access point. The AP is attached to a Linux box with acts as a router and hosts an OpenVPN server. The only open port is the OpenVPN port. So my WLAN is open - but nobody can get into my local net because he/she has to have the secret OpenVPN key
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds