Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a frustrating problem "test-driving" different distros because with many I can't connect to the internet. First, here are some of my system specs: 1.) Dell Latitude ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question can't access internet with certain distros

Hi all,

I have a frustrating problem "test-driving" different distros because with many I can't connect to the internet.

First, here are some of my system specs:
    1.) Dell Latitude laptop circa 2000
    2.) 400 MHz PII processor
    3.) 128 Mb RAM
    4.) 6 Gb harddrive
    5.) Billion 5200S ADSL modem/router
    6.) Realtek 10/100 USB to ethernet adapter (from my modem to my one and only USB port. No, I don't have an ethernet card)
    7.) Dual boot Windows98 / Puppy Linux 2.17

Here are the distros that that work "out of the box":
    Puppy Linux

Here are the distros that work but only after I unplug and replug the USB cable from my modem:
    Xubuntu; Linux Mint; Damn Small Linux; Slax (sometimes -- usually the system freezes upon replug with Slax -- very annoying).

Here are the distros that don't work at all (i.e. even if I unplug and replug)
    Gentoo mini install; Sabayon mini live

I use the same pppoe-setup instructions through the Roaring Penguin client for all distros. With all distros I can connect using pppoe-start, but when I try to access anything on the "other side" of my router (either via ping or a web browser), some work, some don't.

One thing I've just noticed today is that with the Gentoo-based systems, ifconfig eth0 has the following 2nd line:
    "inet addr: 192.168.1.33 Bcast: 198.168.1.255"
    This line is completely absent from ifconfig eth0 in Puppy Linux, the distro with the best/easiest connection.
    I'm not sure about the others as I haven't checked yet.

By the way, resolv.conf shows the following:
    nameserver 203.144.207.29
    nameserver 203.144.207.49

I'd really like to try out the Gentoo-based systems so it'd be great if I could get this figured out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerry
    Last edited by southeastside; 10-07-2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: adding info

Distros vary in many ways, and some like Puppy will have all the packages and depencencies you need to get going and others won't. What is included in the diferent distros kernel and in the given modules varies widely. For instance, I'll bet somewhere there is a Gentoo "how to" to configure the kernel specifically for your device. Kernel re-compile really isn't all that hard once you've done it a few times. I upgraded my Crux kernel just last night.

If Puppy works, I'd stick with it. If you really need to try Gentoo, then you'll have to research your device and find out what needs to be in the kernel for it to work.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here