Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I am trying to configure a "high-security" (as high as I can) firewall for my own machine (that is connected to the internet through a router). I thought ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Drop policy iptables rules - own machine

Hi everyone!

I am trying to configure a "high-security" (as high as I can) firewall for my own machine (that is connected to the internet through a router). I thought the best option is DROP policy but there is not much information on the net about it. I have written the following script that seems to work, but I am not sure about it:

Code:
    iptables -F
    iptables -X
    iptables -Z
    iptables -t nat -F
    #
    iptables -P INPUT DROP
    iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
    iptables -P FORWARD DROP
    #
    iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
    #
    iptables -A OUTPUT -s $1 -j ACCEPT  ## $1 is my local ip
    iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

The idea was to allow only the traffic I have stablished. Could be this a good method? Can you give me some suggestions to improve it?

Thank you in advance.

Just Joined!

Here are some tips, but your script looks fine...

Dany,

Your script looks fine, I included this iptables config as an example of how to do some more stuff.

# Generated by iptables-save v1.2.11 on Mon Jul 23 21:08:53 2007
    *filter
    :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
    :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
    :RH-Firewall-1-INPUT - [0:0]
    -A INPUT -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
    -A FORWARD -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT ##Allow VNC Connection from source xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5901 -j ACCEPT ##Allow VNC Connection from source xxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT ##Allow http from source xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT ##Allow SSH connections from source xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable ##If someone attempts to connect to http port Reject with specified message
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m udp --dport 80 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable ##If someone attempts to connect to http port Reject with specified message (Just making sure)

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable ##If someone attempts to connect to SSH Reject with specified message
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 22 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable ##If someone attempts to connect to SSH Reject with specified message (Just making sure)
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type any -j ACCEPT ##I allow ICMP on my local network and I don't forward ICMP to this box so I feel pretty safe.
    -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    COMMIT ##Stateful connection, if I established the connection then let the replies flow
    # Completed on Mon Jul 23 21:08:53 2007

Bitstreamer