Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I am required to update the following mentioned information on the two systems which are placed on our network.I have the root password and visiting the data warehouse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Information

Hi all

I am required to update the following mentioned information on the two systems which are placed on our network.I have the root password and visiting the data warehouse where these two systems are placed.So no commands are required to log on to these systems remotely.The following parameters are to be modified.

IP address
    Default gateway
    Netmask Information

No changes are required to hostname and domain name.

We have two Dell machines loaded with Redhat. About version, I am not sure. Likely to be 8.

I was told that the file to be edited is /etc/sysconfig/neetwork.

Pl make a note that GUI is not available and these changes are to be made using CLI.

Pl try to help me by providing step by step instructions.

I need the possible information before Monday. Pl try to mail be before it self so that I will go through the stuff before doing the task.

Thanks in advance

shra1996

Linux User
    What you're gonna want to do is switch to the root user once you login to the systems, then use whatever text editor comes installed with redhat 8, ie pico, and edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file and change the gateway. Then you're going to want to use the ifconfig command to change the ip address and netmask. Run ifconfig once to determin which interface is being used, most likely eth0, then run something like the following:
    Code:

ifconfig down
    ifconfig eth0 some.ip.address netmask 255.255.0.0 up