Find the answer to your Linux question:
i connected 2 pc's(one uses suse 9.1 and the other slackware 10) in a home network.when i try to ssh slackhost it connects to the other pc(this which has slackware).at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

connection problem

i connected 2 pc's(one uses suse 9.1 and the other slackware 10) in a home network.when i try to ssh slackhost it connects to the other pc(this which has slackware).at the other pc when i try to do ssh susehost i get an error message saying that port 22 closed.connection refused.
    the same thing happens when i try ftp.how can i configure my ports in order to open ssh and ftp
    i installed nmap-frontend-3.55-1.i386.rpm and it says that i have closed ports ssh and ftp.
    i saw all the configurations with yast including firewall options but it doesn't seem to work.
    thanks in advance
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Have you checked to see if the ssh daemon is running? On my 1/2 Debian 1/2 custom installation, it uses the OpenBSD ssh daemon which is started
    automatically. You also might want to check its startup parameters.

Linux Engineer
    yes the ssh daemon runs at start up.i have fixed the problem now.thanks !
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    if its running...
    try to check the firewall...

if any of the computer have a firewall implemented, it wont be able to connect to ssh or ftp server...

cek with this command...
    iptables -L

post the result.. if you unsure with the iptables result

Linux Engineer
    i fixed ftp and works fine for both pcs in my home network.the problem now is that despite the fact that i fixed ssh services to one pc,i can't get in getting an error message:
    ssh_exchange_identification:Connection closed by remote host
    when i try to connect to the 2nd pc via ssh it works fine.so the problem is in my pc.any ideas?
    Linux For Ever!