Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Linux Fedora Core 2 as my 1st working distro and have many videos and MP3 on my Windows 2000 server. All the windows machines in my LAN ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Files transfer from Windows?

I just installed Linux Fedora Core 2 as my 1st working distro and have many videos and MP3 on my Windows 2000 server.

All the windows machines in my LAN can access this folder that is shared on this machin by typing \\mail\share & then asks for login credintials...

How can I transfer files from Windows to FC2 Linux?

***Please, if you could really take the time and give me a step by step deal because I am very new to linux***

Just Joined!
    if i remember correct, there is a program called Linneighbourhood shipped with FC2, this allows you to map windows drives just like in windows. browse for the machine, click to see it's shares and then select "mount this share to..."

after you've mounted it to let's say /windows, you can go to that directory with cd /windows and cp all the files you need to the directory you need...

let me know if you got it to work...

Linux User
    carlwill: Are linux and windows on the same computer, or are they networked?

If they are on the same computer, all you have to do is mount the drive. If it's networked, look into SAMBA (file sharing with other OS's)
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    Monkey:

No, Linux is on a PC all by itself and the address of my WIndows 2000 server = \\mail\share

I have heard about Samba but really have no clue where to start once I am booted up in my KDE desktop on FC2

Just Joined!
    carlwill,

If you have samba installed, just type

smbclient //mail/share -U username -P

Once you're connected, just use get to transfer files

Just Joined!
    ok, lets say I have samba installed...where do I type this?

Must I run this program called smaba and type that command or can I just run that in Konsole?

Just Joined!
    you should be able to type it in a shell, but i think the samba service already needs to be running, i'm not sure though, haven't used samba a lot

open linneighborhood and use that sine you are such a hardcore M$ junkie, its very similar to windows, you will see a computer called mail, just click on it, and then select teh folder you want and click mount, you will be prompted for a password, after that just access the folder that you mounted it in.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    open linneighborhood and use that sine you are such a hardcore M$ junkie, its very similar to windows, you will see a computer called mail, just click on it, and then select teh folder you want and click mount, you will be prompted for a password, after that just access the folder that you mounted it in.
    How is linneighborhood opened? Is this just the command in terminal window or must I open it somewhere else?

Just Joined!
    it is Linneighborhood, mind the capital "L", and you can just type it in a shell, or go to start, and browse until you find it, it must be there in the menu somewhere