Find the answer to your Linux question:
Windows box sends an ENCRYPTED name/password (it might be the PW only) to the Linux box & the Linux box says "huh?". But The Linux box sends an UNENCRYPTED name/password ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

One way Linux ----> Windows communication

Windows box sends an ENCRYPTED name/password (it might be the PW only) to the Linux box & the Linux box says "huh?".

But The Linux box sends an UNENCRYPTED name/password to the Windows box and it accepts it.

That's why there's only one way communication with the Windows nodes and the Linux nodes on a peer network - Windows encrypts passwords and Linux doesn't.

Pls let me know if there's a solution because I haven't been able to find one... Maybe things are better with domain networks?

I'm assuming that you're using Samba here? It's the likeliest scenario.

Firstly, if Windows is set to encrypted passwords by default, then everything that logs into it is using encrypted passwords; it's one or the other I'm afraid. Secondly, most Samba installs these days use encrypted passwords by default, so again it's pointing away from this as an issue.

It's more likely that you're not sending the right username for the password to the Linux box. Remember that the user name on linux is the unix account name, so it might differ from the windows user name. You can map them across in the samba config.

And don't make the mistake of thinking there's anything secure in Windows encrypted passwords. The password is encoded and sent the same way each time - i.e. if you're sniffing the network for unencrypted passwords (which is the way to get hold of them if you're not using a keyboard logger or watching over someone's shoulder) then the encrypted token is just as good as the unencrypted password, it's just harder to remember.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I read on several websites that windows XP encrypts passwords on networks and linux doesn't. Also that there's a registry tweak which allows workgroup --> linux file sharing but it doesn't always result in a stable system - there are probs with that type of fix. That's all I know. These sites offered samba.conf mods to fix the issue but they didn't work for me, prob because I'm just too inexperienced w/linux to do them properly.

My post here is like literally dozens of others that I've read - same problem with windows workgroup --> linux file sharing. These people report the exact same issue as I do - never do any of their linux passwords ever work, either - not from the windows side of their peer networks.

My linux box name and password is the same one I use for all iterations of my windows home peer network: 98 --> NT 3.51/4.0 --> W2K --> XP.

Have you ever connected a newly hatched linux box to an existing windows peer network? And seen full two way file sharing? If you have then you have done something right where I and many others have failed. I'd like to know what that was, if possible.

I know that samba does not know the root linux PW by default. Maybe samba has to be told about the root account or something like that. Exactly how, I do not know.

But, thanks for your thoughts.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rmckim View Post
    I read on several websites that windows XP encrypts passwords on networks and linux doesn't.
    Well, to be quite frank, that is utter bol**cks. I don't recommend you use those sites for your information again, their contributors don't know what they're talking about. I have a full Windows domain and Linux LDAP/NFS account system with single logon for all users, encrypted passwords, and proper UID/GID sharing across Windows and Linux. This is at home, btw. It wasn't hard.

Also that there's a registry tweak which allows workgroup --> linux file sharing but it doesn't always result in a stable system - there are probs with that type of fix. That's all I know. These sites offered samba.conf mods to fix the issue but they didn't work for me, prob because I'm just too inexperienced w/linux to do them properly.
    You don't need tweaks. You can run a windows workgroup quite easily, and include in it encrypted passwords; you just need to make sure that:

- your smb.conf has encrypted passwords turned on
    - user names either match between windows and linux or are mapped correctly in samba.
    - you've used 'smbpassword -a <username>' to add a password to the Linux server that matches the user's password in Windows.

My post here is like literally dozens of others that I've read - same problem with windows workgroup --> linux file sharing. These people report the exact same issue as I do - never do any of their linux passwords ever work, either - not from the windows side of their peer networks.

My linux box name and password is the same one I use for all iterations of my windows home peer network: 98 --> NT 3.51/4.0 --> W2K --> XP.

Have you ever connected a newly hatched linux box to an existing windows peer network? And seen full two way file sharing? If you have then you have done something right where I and many others have failed. I'd like to know what that was, if possible.
    I had windows talking to my Linux boxes just after Windows 95 came out. It's really really easy - it was one of the first things I did on my Linux journey. The hardest thing that many people don't realise is that as soon as their computers are connected, they've got a proper professional multi-user environment - and that include file ownership and permissions on the server. The upshot of that bombshell for the average user is that they have to set a username and password for their network activity, or else they'll not be able to use these ownership permissions.

I know that samba does not know the root linux PW by default. Maybe samba has to be told about the root account or something like that. Exactly how, I do not know.

But, thanks for your thoughts.
    I wouldn't recommend you setting up a root account access across samba; it's not needed. If you're configuring a domain you'd need it to authorise new network connection (and you normally map the samba 'Administrator' user to the unix 'root' user), but for workgroup use it's neither necessary or advisable.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    OK - I'll look into your suggestions in a day or two. My Kubuntu installation was trashed on Sunday by its HD controller failure - a 6 yr old Western Digital 40 GB Caviar (with low mileage, though). I prefer Seagate Barracuda drives myself. I'll fix, reinstall, and try to implement your suggestions. And afterwards maybe there'll be a useful howto for others with the same issue.

Thanks again.