Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Shayvasa thats quite curious, Your internet can't send/recieve packets, but it can resolve the Google address to it's IP address 64.233.183.99. I also notice it has under your eth0 interface ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Shayvasa thats quite curious,
    Your internet can't send/recieve packets, but it can resolve the Google address to it's IP address 64.233.183.99.
    I also notice it has under your eth0 interface "RX bytes:2278 (2.2 KB) TX bytes:21600 (21.0 KB)". This means that their is an operational physical link, that can send and receive packets. I can see you're behind a router, could you run a few more commands, then copy and paste the output to a file and post it on here.
    Oh by the way, here is a tip to save you the work of copying and pasting... when you run a command in linux, you can save the output to a file through use of the > key. The syntax is as follows: command > file_to_output
    command represents ... (can you guess?) the command! the file_to_output represents what you would like to call the file you are going to save the command output to. Examples to demonstrate would be ping -c 4 > ping.txt
    or ifconfig -a > ifconfig.txt
    Don't forget, the file is saved to your current working directory if no path is specified!

Back to the fix...

The commands I want you to run are (I don't need the output from these commands unless they produce an error message):

sudo ifconfig eth1 down
    sudo ifconfig eth1 gateway 192.168.1.1
    sudo ifconfig eth1 up

After you've run the previous commands, run the following and CAPTURE the output.

traceroute Google
    ping 192.168.1.1

The last command I want you to run will probably produce a large amount of output, so be warned!

iptables -L --list-numbers

So far, it would be difficult to jump to any conclusions about what is causing your problem. It could be that the interface is incorrectly configured, it could be your router... could be just about anything! So get back with the 3 commands I need to see the output from, and I can probably help you some more then.

Just Joined!
    ok ill do all that but when u say capture u mean to do what i did be4 right? just attach the file

Just Joined!
    Correct

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok heres everthing u asked for except the ping 192.168.1.1 cause it was to long and it didnt finish also it was all almost the same...is it very important?
    sudo, etc..txt

Just Joined!
    Ugh, I guess it's my fault for assuming you had traceroute installed
    I will make you a shell script real quick that will do everything I need and output to a file. First of all make sure you save the attachment and THIS file in the same directory.
    ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/traceroute.tar.gz

Then put it on a media (disk or usbdrive) so you can use it on your linux. Boot Linux and open a terminal window. Navigate to the directory that holds the 2 files I had you get and put together. then once your in the right directory, type
    sudo sh inet_help.txt
    If you have done the previous steps correctly you will see several lines appear on the terminal screen. when it's done all the information I need will be stored in your home directory under the folder capture-info. good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just Joined!
    can u explain that last part better plz? i have both files in my local drive c...now what? and do u have msn? that way this will go much faster..

Just Joined!
    Yea my MSN is sent, let me know I can help you from there...
    GL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2